Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'81 GS850G Gear Position Indicator Prob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS850G Gear Position Indicator Prob.

Hi, recently the "5" gear position lite failed on my '81 GS850G, #s 1-4 still display. I see the indicator is a single unit & not available. Anyone ever have this & found it to be repairable? I know I'm in 5th but miss seeing it confirmed as senility approaches.
    Thank you.
    DH

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
    Hi, recently the "5" gear position lite failed on my '81 GS850G, #s 1-4 still display. I see the indicator is a single unit & not available. Anyone ever have this & found it to be repairable? I know I'm in 5th but miss seeing it confirmed as senility approaches.
    Thank you.
    DH
    I think on this model it's just a light bulb in a little window. Replace.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      I think on this model it's just a light bulb in a little window. Replace.
      Yup.

If it's the one with the eensy-beansy wee teeny-tiny little bulb about the size of a grain of rice, you'll have a merry chase finding one.

IIRC, some well-stocked auto parts stores have a couple of choices of bulbs that will fit. I don't remember which one I ended up using, but I bought a couple of kinds and used the one that seemed closest in brightness.

If it's a larger bulb, with the base about 8-10mm across, you'll need to visit a motorcycle shoppe. The bulbs available at auto stores with the same base have a globe that's too wide.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

If it's as small as some of Mercedes instrument and control panel lights, go to a dealer and ask to see part number 002-544-01-94 OR 072601-012230. these are both what we call weenie bulbs, smaller than peanut bulbs, with the type of base that just plugs in. It's what backlights all our A/C panels, cigarette lighters, gearshift indicvator lightup, and various control knob illumination on models from 1968 up to the present. About 2 bucks each.

Comment

'81 GS850G Gear Position Indicator

Thanks, I thought it was a integrated LED type device so if anything went, the whole unavailable unit had to be replaced. Will do. Thanks again.

DH:-D

Comment

Originally posted by suzukizone View Post
            Thanks, I thought it was a integrated LED type device so if anything went, the whole unavailable unit had to be replaced.

If it is, they are hard to find. Once I just put a bulb in it's place that just lit up in top gear, that's all you need anyway. .... Well you don't really need any of it, do you?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
            X