GSXR 1100 Headers on a 83 GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSXR 1100 Headers on a 83 GS1100

Has anyone tried installing a set of GSXR 1100 headers on a GS1100? The GSXR header seems to hug the block really well with the 4 into 2 into 1 setup giving more ground clearance. I have read on the forum that the port spacing is pretty close but have not seen anyone post up if this acutally worked.

I am hoping that with so many guys doing the GSXR suspension upgrade, that someone has done this mod already and can say if it was a straight bolt on or was any major fabrication was needed.

Knowing if it clears the center stand and oil drain plug would be helpful too if this is known. Thanks Kich

Port spacing is exactly the same, where the problems lie are in clearance beneath the sump & the secondary pipe getting in the way of the footrest hangers

Comment

Thanks, is there a particular year GSXR 1100 exhaust I should I be looking for??

Comment

headers

Just contact v and H and get the correct ones. they fit. muff is a little loud but a hyabusa muff can be adapted. monte

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
          Thanks, is there a particular year GSXR 1100 exhaust I should I be looking for??
          basically the downpipes from anything oil cooled will fit the head but some of the smaller 600/ 750 stuff have a smaller diameter

i'd be looking at 12 bandit, or 1100 slingshots as the best bet but again i'll say you might have to mod it around the sump & footrest hanger area

Comment

I got some good leads on a few exhausts found on Ebay but they are for a GSXR 1000, and a few for a GSXR 600/750. Either or will work right with some minor tweaking right??

I have only found the bandit exhaust in a 4 into 1 which dones not help me and none in a GSXR 1100.

Comment

the gsxr water cooled exhausts such as the 1000/750/600 have different (narrower) spacing at the head so would need spreading out to fit, also the angle out of the head is slightly different so the exhaust would be pushed forward a bit & i also think they may hang lower

if you could find some very cheap TI gsxr1000 downpipes & get them on they would look very trick (ive seen them on oil cooled engines) maybe you could be the first to try this on a gs :-D as above though i'm not 100% sure what would be involved

Comment

Check out this post that I found by 80GS1000. I dont know how different the engine is different from a GS1000 and a GS1100 but he shows some interesting pictures. The only question is, was he able to eventually get them moded to fit his bike?? Check it out!

[quote=80GS1000;567870]

Quick update on the exhaust situation-

The 89 Hindle aftermarket GSXR 1100 exhaust system arrived tonight.
                I took the header out to the garage to test it out, and was pleased to find that the header spacing is the same between the GS1000 and the 89 GSXR 1100!

Not only that, but the exit point of the 4-2-1 collector is at just the right spot behind the brake pedal.

The gotchas are that the header downpipes are too long by about 2-3" (hangs under the engine too close to the ground), the downpipes by the flanges are at the wrong angle for optimum ground clearance, and the downpipes are smaller on the GSXR header by about 1 mm. The exit point of the collector would make the exhaust can stick out at an angle, so a custom midpipe needs to be made to make the can parallel with the frame.

So, the task now is to get the GSXR header bent/cut/welded into the ideal dimensions for the GS engine and frame. The flanges from the V&H header may be used to overcome the diameter difference. Time for round 2 of exhaust measuring.

When it's all said and done, there'll be 4.5-5" of ground clearance under the header.

Originally posted by 80GS1000

Mocked up the '89 GSXR 1100 4 into 2 into 1 exhaust on the bike to see the difference in ground clearance between it and the old Vance and Hines 4 into 1. It's huge.

The exhaust port spacing is perfect.

Check out the before and after as compared to the old V&H. The 4 into 2 into 1 hugs the frame nice and tightly on the underside where it counts; the 4 into 1 would be scraping the deck. Keep in mind the bike is on its centerstand in the pics.

Before:

After:

To get this clearance, the top of the GSXR header will need to be cut off to suit the length of the motor. Also, the collars and flanges from the old exhaust will probably have to be used to mount the GSXR header.

As it is right now for optimum ground clearance, which shows how it has to be cut:

Exhaust port spacing is good - same spacing between the GS engine and the GSXR engine. Ground clearance when mounted as tightly as possible to the frame is great. The header, midpipe, and can fit the dimensions of the bike really well. The exit point of the header is just behind the brake pedal.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-30-2008, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                  the gsxr water cooled exhausts such as the 1000/750/600 have different (narrower) spacing at the head so would need spreading out to fit, also the angle out of the head is slightly different so the exhaust would be pushed forward a bit & i also think they may hang lower

if you could find some very cheap TI gsxr1000 downpipes & get them on they would look very trick (ive seen them on oil cooled engines) maybe you could be the first to try this on a gs :-D as above though i'm not 100% sure what would be involved
                  Thanks Tone! So I guess this is not such a easy swap! Bummer!

Comment

Those pics just reminded me .....the slabside gsxr11 (1052cc) exhausts are about 1" to 1" & half longer than the 750's of the same years due to the short stroke 750 engine

sorry it dont help you but it might benifit someone else :-D

Comment

That 4-2-1 header is still sitting in my garage, just need to get some time/$$$ to take it to an exhaust shop for the required cutting & welding. Should work out well once it's done. \\/

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                        Those pics just reminded me .....the slabside gsxr11 (1052cc) exhausts are about 1" to 1" & half longer than the 750's of the same years due to the short stroke 750 engine

sorry it dont help you but it might benifit someone else :-D
                        Tone, are you referring to the exhaust from a earler 750 like the 1989 GXSR 750 that 80GS1000 has or from a later GSXR say from 1998-2006? if you are referring to the earler 750, them it maybe right in the ball park and will fit just fine without cutting you think??

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
                          Tone, are you referring to the exhaust from a earler 750 like the 1989 GXSR 750 that 80GS1000 has or from a later GSXR say from 1998-2006? if you are referring to the earler 750, them it maybe right in the ball park and will fit just fine without cutting you think??
                          i'm thinking of the early model gsxr's from 85 to 87 g.h.&J models on those the 750 exhaust is shorter in the downpipes than the 1100 ones due to the shorter engine :-D these are refered to as slabsiders or slabby's in the uk due to the big slab of plastic seat panels

the 89 on models are the second generation gsxr are commonly called slingshots over here

sorry for the confusion i sometimes forget that my uk slang might seem like a different language to colonials lol :-D

Comment

Hello Fellas,

I took my upgraded GS1100ESD with the newer GSXR rims and suspension out for a ride in the Malibu Canyon here in SoCal to our local bike hang out called the Rock Store. Have to say, the bike handles really nice but the ground clearance when going around right hand turns is still pretty bad. Check out a picuture below that was taken of me and my ride this weekend. If you look closely at the bottom of my exhaust, you will see what I mean. Has anyone come up with a fix for this? Any help to resolve this problem would be great!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/capfacs...ckstore/page8/
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2008, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Here's the header being used on my GS1000 It's a Hindle 4-2-1 originally made for a '89 GSXR 1100. The exhaust port spacing was perfect for the 8v GS1000 motor so the flanges from my old V&H header were cut off and welded to the Hindle header. Add the Hindle can and voila! - 4-2-1 exhaust for the GS1000. Tons of ground clearance this way - haven't ground it out yet even at knee-down lean angles.

Also a quick video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qfS4Io2GM

Comment

Working...
                              X