hard time removing head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard time removing head

so this is on my kawa 750R , i got the head cover off, and got the camshaft holders off but cant get the cams off the chain? i also dropped a bolt and 2 sockets down into the crankcase how can i get em out?

If there is a cam chain tensioner you'll have to pull it to get the chain off the cam sprockets. Try a flexible carb adjuster with a magnet securely fastened to the end to get the stuff out of the crankcase. Next time stuff some rags or paper towels around the cavities that go down to the crankcase.

Comment

I used a telescoping pencil with a magnet on it to get a valve shim out of my bikes engine after dropping it in down the camchain hole. You may have to pull the oil pan or an engine cover to get it out (depending on the layout of the motor which you can check in a manual).

Steve

Comment

what does a cam chain tensioner look like? will it mess up the timing if i take out the cam sprockets

Comment

tensioner

A cam chain tensioner is usually located on the back of the cylinders. If it is self adjusting it will have a coil spring to the side of it. You need to be careful removing this as there is a possibility you can loose part of it in the engine (I know this is the case on a GS, not sure of a Kawasaki).

Will you loose your timing. Yes and no, removing the head and cams will remove your timing. As long as you put it back together in the exact same position as you took the cams and chain out there will be no problem. My suspicion is that you need to buy a manual that describes the procedure for this for your bike, as each one is a bit different. By the way why are you taking the head off?

Comment

to replace the gasket

Comment

can someone tell me how to work the cam chain tensior, i removed the tension bolt but it didnt do anything

Comment

This 750R is a water cooled motor with the cam chain on the side of the motor, correct? You need to get a shop manual to determine how the relieve chain tension. You will need it to get your torque specs and torque sequences and a bunch of other info.

Hap

Comment

i got the head off , and the cam chain is on the inside of the engine between the pairs of cylinders. heres the question now that ive finally got the head off will the cylinders rust while sitting outside? and i dont think it'll be a problem putting it back together, im going to just torque em opposite each other, ie crosswise. oh and btw you relieve chain tension by just removing the whole tensioner, theres no spring

Comment

Oil up some raps and wipe the cylinders with them. Then leave the rags in the engine and cover it up with a bag as you won't get rust until it rains.

Steve

Comment

cylinder walls are subjected to oxygen though so why wouldnt they be protected from rust already?

Comment

Originally posted by ice109
                        cylinder walls are subjected to oxygen though so why wouldnt they be protected from rust already?
                        That?s the way they are designed, I would follow Steve's advice.

Comment

The cylinders are just plain steel liners so they will rust. I've had this happen to a 350 diesel I took apart. They will even rust a little over the winter when closed up so people put oil in the jugs. If you want to test this press your clean thumb against a cylinder wall and wait until the next day. You'll fnd that you've got a rusted thumb print to sand out.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X