turn signal/high/low switch repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal/high/low switch repair

Does anyone have any ideas about how one can replace the knob that operates the high/lo headlight and turn signals. The switch itself works, but the knob and the rubber material covering it is gone.
    John

Try taking it apart - very carefully as the little springs in those switches can sometimes jump into oblivion - and adding a blob of metal epoxy to the switch stub to make another knob. Metal epoxy will often set harder than plastic stuff so it's more durable.

Kim

Comment

Thanks, Kim.

I'll try that. It will be a darn sight better than the $285.00 Cdn they want for a new switch, and the non existant used switches on the market.

John

Comment

fix

if takign it apart doesn't work try a post on the parts wanted board on here. the same thing happened to my gs750es and I got a used one for $25cnd. be very careful when takign it apart, it will give you some trouble most likely if you are not careful, I speak form exp! good luck

Comment

Re: fix

[quote="Klack" be very careful when takign it apart, it will give you some trouble most likely if you are not careful, I speak form exp! good luck[/quote]

I second that. Lots of motorcycle switch assemblies have a part inside them called "the Jesus spring". That's what people say when it flies across the shed, never to be seen again. :-)

Kim

Comment

there is one on ebay right now, look under 'gs1100' and if I remember it is with other parts and was last running for 39.00 :twisted:

Comment

Taking it apart and reassembling it without losing parts can be done....(there is almost no danger of losing parts)....if you get a large, clear, plastic bag and work inside it.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

John, I recently had the same problem but fortunately I found a few in a local motorcyle junkyard. If you have no luck finding a complete switch assembly near you, I could send you a few of the pieces from the inside of one of the two switch assemblies I took apart in effort to fix mine. I saved all the pieces I found (although I could not swear I found them all because I never got it to work as well as the one I ended up buying). If you end up buying one rather than trying to take yours apart and fix it, I have one tip for you. It is this:

GET ONE IN GOOD CONDITION!

If it does not feel as though the switch works the way it is meant to, then don't buy it. I bought two and installed them. Neither felt right and neither worked properly on the bike. Both the turn signals and the horn worked intermittently. Apparently they are a well known problem on these bikes. Near me, the switches cost $25 US. If I can help at all, let me know.

Slamtry

Comment

The current switch (I really didn't mean to pun ) works fine, with my gloves off, and using my fingernail to move the innards to the turn signal part, or the high/low part. I just want to put something on it so that I can use the switch with my riding gloves on.

thanks for your help.

John

Comment

Lots of motorcycle switch assemblies have a part inside them called "the Jesus spring".

Oh, is that what those are called? I called the one in my front brake light switch "that g--d--- m-----f------ piece of s---", along with some other less flattering terms.

Comment

Originally posted by coinneach
                      Lots of motorcycle switch assemblies have a part inside them called "the Jesus spring".

Oh, is that what those are called? I called the one in my front brake light switch "that g--d--- m-----f------ piece of s---", along with some other less flattering terms.
                      Sure does look like you were "dashing" about looking for those pieces! :roll:
                      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

John, if all you need is the outside "button" part of the switch I can send you one. (And also the horn button if that has fallen off too.) However that raises the ugly scenario of you having to take the switch apart with the likely follow up of bits disappearing at light speed into unknown crevices.

Let me know if you want the switch pieces. I think I have a few.

Slamtry

Comment

Working...
                        X