Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr. basic's 16 valve adjustment guide

Hello GS friends,

Mr. basic recently sent me some pictures and a write-up of the valve adjustment procedure on his TSCC motor. All I did was put it together, make a PDF and hang it on my little BikeCliff website for all to enjoy. Please check out the new "Valve Adjustment for 16 Valve Motors" file.

Many thanks to Mr. basic (Aaron) for taking the time to document the procedure and for graciously allowing me to host it. Aaron, I really appreciate your efforts and your generosity. The file is in PDF format so that it can be downloaded, saved, and printed if desired.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 03-31-2008, 12:03 AM.

16V adjustment guide

Thanks for the great written procedure. It made it look a lot simpler than I had imagined. I was accustomed to an adjustment on a twin, and I thought my GS1100L required shims, etc for the adjustment. Just a little glitch that I noticed. The recommended clearances were shown as .03 -.05" (.08 - .13 mm). I believe that this should read .003 - .005", not .03 - .05". This could lead to a really noisy top end. I think most people would realize the error when they got to that point, but it might be a good idea to make that change. Thanks again for the helpful procedures and pictures.

Comment

Oops! Forgot my decimal place

Hi Mr. fnickel,

I do believe you are correct, sir! I have made the corrections. Thank you for pointing that out. I would have been so embarrassed.

BassCliff

Comment

Question...

I read the write up 'very nice' definately will make me much more comfortable doing this on Tmwnni GS550 which I believe needs a adjustment asa well as carbs cleaned out...

I was curious though this maybe very stupid to ask.. when you are setting the clearences.. do you want them to by set at the .13mm side or at the .08mm side? .. I would think .08mm would be very tight and would be a flag to losen it up. But I have to ask...

also... I have not touched a feeler gauge much and am curious to know how they should feel when you are placing the guy under the screw they should slide easily without binding/bending...any flags on when it is too loose?

I know it sounds really stupid but i paid shop to do my sync and valves last time and could think other things to spend the money on if I can just get my head wrapped around how this stuff works.

We will also be takling making our own gaskets as well. But that sounds much more simple =)

Comment

A slappy valve is a happy valve

Hi Mr. Kcwiro,

I generally try to set my clearances toward the looser end of the range (but I'm not obsessive about it). The clearances tend to tighten up over time. It's better to run a little too loose as opposed to a little too tight.

The feeler gauge should slide easily with just a little friction when lubed. If you think the feeler gauge slides too easily, try the next size up to see if it fits. If the next size up fits, you may want to readjust if it's too loose.

If you like, take a look at my website. You'll find guides for gasket making, carb adjustments, and links to other members' helpful websites.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks...

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. Kcwiro,

...I generally try to set my clearances toward the looser end of the range (but I'm not obsessive about it). ...

...If you like, take a look at my website. You'll find guides for gasket making, carb adjustments, and links to other members' helpful websites.

BassCliff
            So sounds like I should se it in the .12-.13mm side of things... we will be using two feeler guages I think we both have metric ones =) .. will need to consider us buying a community tappet set though for us to share... the Z1 look nice and I did not see anything in the local auto stores and sears brand OUCH!... and they aren't even like the ones Z1 has...

I got the idea from your website to make our own gaskets ... it is one of my favorite 'reference this first' sites before searching then posting ...very useful material indeed...still have yet to use the carb one but that maybe happening very soon...:-D

I will have to find gasket material for the valve covers though... the stuff I saw at my store was not wide enough to fit the valve cover ironically enough.. but perfect for everything else... no worries though we will both use that stuff up.. I might have to remake my chain tensioner one since it appeared to be leaking I retightened the nuts on it when cleaning it so I will watch to see if that works.. else it is 'lets get crafty' time 8-[

...question..the gasket material we can use that for the float bowl gaskets as well right?

Comment

Thanks to all who think this guide is helpful. The .03"-.05" is my typo, not basscliff's. oh well, simple thing to do. at least the metric was correct...

Comment

Working...
              X