Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting extra weight into the handlebars? didn't make any di

Hi,

The bike has vibrations at approx. 115 km/h, there are a lot of thing to try first, see other threads there the topic has been discussed.

My GS1150 1984 has handlebars with hole, like a tube.

I have heard that if you put in extra weight into the handlebars it could decrease the vibrations.

Anybody who knows if this is worth trying?

I use sand, I've also heard of using lead shot, there is also a kind of counter weight that is inserted into bar ends and tightened, not sure who makes or sells these, they're used in sportbike clip-ons also. The sand does help to give the bars some mass, thereby lowering the frequency at which the bars vibrate, and lengthening the time it takes for my hands to fall asleep, I put a throttle lock on so I can shake my right hand also,to wake it up!

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
      I use sand, I've also heard of using lead shot, there is also a kind of counter weight that is inserted into bar ends and tightened, not sure who makes or sells these, they're used in sportbike clip-ons also. The sand does help to give the bars some mass, thereby lowering the frequency at which the bars vibrate, and lengthening the time it takes for my hands to fall asleep, I put a throttle lock on so I can shake my right hand also,to wake it up!
      Thanks for your reply,

I think I will give this a try.

Comment

I've also heard of people using lots of bb's.

Originally posted by kz
        Originally posted by daveo
        Thanks for your reply,

I think I will give this a try.

Comment

Karl the GSX1100EF(GS1150ES for the US) came stock with bar end anti-vibration weights, if they are not on your bike there is your problem.
          Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
            Karl the GSX1100EF(GS1150ES for the US) came stock with bar end anti-vibration weights, if they are not on your bike there is your problem.
            Dink
            Dink,

I have the anti-vibration weights mounted, as I wrote in the post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...=6839&start=45 your earlier suggestions has decreased the vibartions already, but I want to get it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by capt_tourettes

Sorry,

What do you mean with bb's?

Comment

Just got stainless steel blastering "sand" delivered.

It feels a little bit heavy, is where any risc involved if you put to much weight into the handlebars??

Comment

Originally posted by kz

Sorry,

like in a BB gun. small round lead or copper balls as in a hunters shotgun shell. Very small ball bearings etc.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                    Originally posted by kz

Sorry,

like in a BB gun. small round lead or copper balls as in a hunters shotgun shell. Very small ball bearings etc.
                    Thanks I got it.

Comment

Originally posted by kz
                      Originally posted by slopoke
                      Originally posted by kz

Sorry,

Thanks I got it.
                      it also stands for Big B____ 8O

Comment

Karl, the two things I have gathered from the discussion threads that reduce vibration is to re-torque the engine mounts and to synchronize the carbs precisely. I can vouch (relative to my 750E) that synchronizing the carbs made it into another bike from a vibration standpoint. When I first had my 750 running, it vibrated so badly I could feel my hands after fifteen minutes of riding. Now with the carbs sychronized as they should be, the bike does not vibrate at all. All day ride and my hands are fine. :-) My 85 1150E almost does NOT vibrate. :-)

Earl

Earl
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I think it's true that if all is in correct balance and the correct parts are present and correctly installed there should be not too much vibration. However if there is...and often there is...you have to interfere with the harmonic of the vibration. Adding weight to the bar ends, if that is where the vibration is, can be accomplished with bbs, lead fishing weights, sand or anything else your imagination can come up with. A nice cheap solution s a lead plug from any concrete outfit. These are designed to be inserted into a hole of a given (much variation) diameter, and then a screw/bolt is driven into a hole in the center of it, thus spreading it out. Usually something is fastened to the concrete wall with the bolt/screw...just like drywall hangers, only heavy duty.
                          Putting two of these plugs into the bar-ends of my '70 Triumph 500 eliminated vibration in the bars. Later I found that this vibration was caused by the vertical twin cylinders causing a vibration in the frame and could be eliminated by putting a brace into the frame. In any case...

try it...it's easily installed and easily removed.

S.

Comment

Karl after a brief discussion with an old timer mechanic, I suspect most or all the vibes present in GS/GSX Suzuki's can be traced to the clutch baskets, the movement, wear or even slop being the cause of most of the out of balance forces.
                            Dink

Comment

You could always go with an aftermarket set of bars. I have Daytona's on my 750ED and have been happy with them. They are solid alloy and therefore do not use bar end weights but do mount directly to the top triple clamp giving a sport riding position. I will add that most old GS bikes I have ridden all had a certain amount of buzz to them. I think that is just the nature of the beast and unless you are willing to do a complete balance job no simple fix is available. Ride On, Ed.

Comment

Working...
                              X