Lost key to wife's 1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost key to wife's 1150

Being the stash man that I am, I stashed my wife's key to her bike somewhere. Its lost.

I do have a spare ignition switch, but no key. I noticed a code number on the bottom front of the switch.

Do think I could take the spare switch to a locksmith and have a key made for it? Thanks for any advice.
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Your WIFE has an 1150! :shock::shock::shock: Does she have a sister?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I noticed a code number on the bottom front of the switch.
      Some assistance for those who might be in the same situation - on the two sets that I have these numbers are punched into the plastic and are of very small size. I mention this as I was looking where I thought was the obvious place, on the actual locking mechanism not the black plastic holder and I was expecting to find larger numbers somewhere out of normal sight on the rear, not the front. When found I took the numbers to a quality locksmith and he looked them up on his computer and cut them with no problems.

Comment

Forget going to the dealer, go to the local locksmith for keys

Comment

Hey thanks for the help. I'll bring the switch to the local locksmith.

She only rides a couple times year. I'll try to scan in a photo of her on it.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I took my spare ignition switch to the local locksmith. The charge was $35 with two keys.

I trickle charged the battery for a few days, but the bike had been sitting for 3 months in a carport with a full tank of gas. I thumbed the starter and I knew right away it wasn't going to fire without draining the battery. So I rolled down the hill in front of the house, clicked into second, full choke, dropped the clutch. No go. Stop sign approaching, no cars, I coast through, build momentum drop the clutch and it fired off.

I'll probably find the original key in a month or so somewhere.

Comment

Here's a poor attempt at a photo of my wife on her 1150.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                Here's a poor attempt at a photo of my wife on her 1150.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...chmentaspx.jpg

When y'all met, did she kick sand in your face and take your lunch money? An 1150...wow!:-D

Hap

Comment

i lost my keys as well on my 82 gs1100GL, is it required to take the ignition lock cylinder out of the bike to see the three digit number, or can it be seen while on the bike? i have access to the seat lock, but i dont know if there are numbers on there. i cant get the helmet lock off though if i wanted to use that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
                    When y'all met, did she kick sand in your face and take your lunch money? An 1150...wow!:-D

Hap

No, she took an MSF course a decade ago on a CB 125. Her first bike was a 82 Katana 550, then a 550ES.

She rode my Kat a few times and I rode her 550. She must have hit near 100 mph on the thing. left me in the dust on her 550. She said the power was so addictive.

Comment

You left the keys on top of a book somewhere... I have a feeling... can't be explained.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
                        No, she took an MSF course a decade ago on a CB 125. Her first bike was a 82 Katana 550, then a 550ES.

She rode my Kat a few times and I rode her 550. She must have hit near 100 mph on the thing. left me in the dust on her 550. She said the power was so addictive.

She's a keeper!:-D

Comment

Working...
                        X