Morgan Carbtune/Colortune in ChicagoLand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morgan Carbtune/Colortune in ChicagoLand

Hello out there. I'm about to buy a Morgan Carbtune/Colortune for about $170 from Morgan's website. Before I do that I thought I'd see if any of the folks around ChicagoLand have one that I could borrow or rent.

I understand if you don't want to let it out of your site. I could bring the bike to you or you could come over to my garage and help me get the carbs all set up. In either case I would supply pizza, beer, beer, etc.

It will be a few weeks before I'm ready to do this. Just planning ahead a little. Right now I'm checking valve clearances. After that I'll pull the carbs and rebuild them. After that I'll need the Carbtune and Colortune.

What do you think? Any takers? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy my own?

Thanks,
    gbw

I got the 50 dollar set of vacuum gauges, but I understand they require a bit more work than the carbtune and may not be quite and precise, or so one says. You have to perform the same proceedure of hooking all-four-to-one to first calibrate all the gauges the same and then you can perform the sync.

I've used it plenty of times now, it's one of those tools that are kind of a must have in the tool box and a worth while investment.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      Hello out there. I'm about to buy a Morgan Carbtune/Colortune for about $170 from Morgan's website. Before I do that I thought I'd see if any of the folks around ChicagoLand have one that I could borrow or rent.

I understand if you don't want to let it out of your site. I could bring the bike to you or you could come over to my garage and help me get the carbs all set up. In either case I would supply pizza, beer, beer, etc.

It will be a few weeks before I'm ready to do this. Just planning ahead a little. Right now I'm checking valve clearances. After that I'll pull the carbs and rebuild them. After that I'll need the Carbtune and Colortune.

What do you think? Any takers? Or should I just bite the bullet and buy my own?

Thanks,
      gbw
      GBW,

I have a Colortune that I bought last year and have yet to use. I live in Lombard. We have a lot of guys in the area and often get together to work on bikes. It would be nice to have a Carbtune available. I'll gladly let you use my Colortune if you'll return the favor and let me use your Carbtune. I have a Motion Pro mercury sync tool but have heard great things about the Carbtune and would love to try one.

Thanks,
      Joe
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
        I'll gladly let you use my Colortune if you'll return the favor and let me use your Carbtune.
        Deal. The Carbtune by itself is about $120 (with case) so that saves me real money. Looks like we are only about 20 miles apart. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks,
        gbw

Comment

I just got a Carbtune Pro in the mail yesterday that I bought on Craigslist. It costs less than 6 bucks to mail it. I don't mind passing it around to the guys on this forum. I would like to get my bike done first though. I need to get a valve cover gasket and then I will be ready to use it after I adjust the valves.

Comment

Originally posted by GSJohn View Post
            I just got a Carbtune Pro in the mail yesterday that I bought on Craigslist. It costs less than 6 bucks to mail it. I don't mind passing it around to the guys on this forum. I would like to get my bike done first though. I need to get a valve cover gasket and then I will be ready to use it after I adjust the valves.
            Hey John, I'd love to take you up on this offer. Syncing my carbs is the last thing I need to do after adjusting my valves and rebuilding my carbs over the winter. Of course, I'd pay for shipping and I could email you a copy of the Factory Service Manual for our bikes for your trouble. :-D

Comment

JT check your PM box

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                Deal. The Carbtune by itself is about $120 (with case) so that saves me real money. Looks like we are only about 20 miles apart. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Thanks,
                gbw
                Joe beat me to it, but I ALSO have a brand new Colortune as yet unused (we bought ours at the same time - we should have consulted with each other first - hehe!) and I'd also be interested in using your Carbtune when the time comes. I'm one of the guys who "hangs" at "Joe's Garage," but if he's unavailable and you want to wrench you can always swing by my place and do the same here. I'm less than half an hour north of Joe...

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                  ...I ALSO have a brand new Colortune...I'd also be interested in using your Carbtune...you can always swing by my place...
                  Again, Deal. I'll keep you posted. I'm right between you and Joe (Not in the man-sandwich way (not that there is anything wrong with that if that is what you go for)) so I'm sure we can get together and share tools.

I need to go ahead and order the Carbtune but right now I'm banging my head against these shim sizes. Think I'll post another thread about that.

Thanks!
                  gbw

Comment

You must be a "Seinfeld" fan ... hehe!

See ya soon,

Comment

Well...I got the thumbs up from my CFO (wife) on the Carbtune\\/. Just placed the order...didn't want to give her time to change her mind. Not that I need her permission to buy stuff...I AM the man around here after all

Anyway, I'll let you guys know when it gets here. Maybe the weather will turn nice one of these days and we can get together to wrench and ride.

I've ordered what I need to complete the valve shim adjustment. While I wait for that stuff to show up I guess I'll pull the carbs and get started on them. You might see a post or two from me once I start doing that!

Have a great day,
                      gbw

Comment

Working...
                      X