How much cam chain "bend" is normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much cam chain "bend" is normal?

I've got the GS1000G motor apart for new rings and valve guide seals, and am wondering if it is worth a new cam chain. I suppose this one is original (don't know the full history of the bike) and it seems to me to flop sideways a fair bit.

Does anyone have any experience with new cam chains and how much they bend/flop over sideways?

Thanks
    Kim

Kim I have never heard of a spec for deflection in a camchain to decide if it is stuffed or not, but if the motor is worn enogh to need new rings a new camchain aint gonna hurt it either.
    Dink

Comment

Yep Yep and Yep again.

Comment

Kim change it now , or you may kick yourself later. A worn cam chain can be deadly if they snap(valves are not cheap) but also they make it difficult to tune your bike. I had one skip a tooth and take out eight valves Do it now and dont worry later.

Comment

I believe it is a function of chain stretch, not bend when they determine if a cam chain is unserviceable. I will look in my shop manual when I get to work (left it there by accident :? )

Hap

Comment

if you have it apart might as well change it or could come back and kick you think my cam chain was like 30 bucks local dealer

Comment

Originally posted by micksdrunk
              if you have it apart might as well change it or could come back and kick you think my cam chain was like 30 bucks local dealer
              I've decided to order one when I go into town tomorrow. But when I looked up BikeBandit prices they gave $69 US, that's about $110 Oz. I guess they'll tell me for sure when I get to the store, and my local dealer gives a discount when paying at the time of an order.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
                I believe it is a function of chain stretch, not bend when they determine if a cam chain is unserviceable. I will look in my shop manual when I get to work (left it there by accident :? )

Hap
                It's tricky to get a good meaurement for a certain number of links when it is still on the bike, but as far as I can tell it comes up OK. Part of me feels like taking it off so I can stretch it out on the bench and measure it. But it's old enough to retire gracefully so it's being replaced this week.

Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kkmiller
                  Originally posted by Hap Call

Hap
                  s tricky to get a good meaurement for a certain number of links when it is still on the bike, but as far as I can tell it comes up OK. Part of me feels like taking it off so I can stretch it out on the bench and measure it. But it's old enough to retire gracefully so it's being replaced this week.

Kim
                  Thats a wise decision

Comment

Cost of new cam chain in Australia? $103. Ouch.

And I thought my old cycle chain link extractor tool would fit. It doesn't. So I'm either doing it by hammer and drift or I buy the proper tool. Double ouch.

Kim

Comment

Working...
                    X