77 GS550E died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS550E died

I was riding my 550 today and everything was going fine for the first 15 minutes or so then it just cut out. There is no power when I turn the key. The battery was fine when I started and it was running great until all of a sudden it just died. Any ideas what it could be? Stator?

Fuses

Start by checking your main fuse. It's most definitely an electrical problem and, in all likelihood, it's something fairly simple. Let us know!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Where is the main fuse? I looked around for it and checked the wiring diagram but did not find it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdmae92 View Post
        Where is the main fuse? I looked around for it and checked the wiring diagram but did not find it.
        On my 750 it is a single fuse in an inline fuse holder hidden behind the frame tube that runs down the front of the area covered by the left plastic side cover, forward of the starter solenoid.
        Not sure about the 550.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

What rating is the fuse? I saw one fuse that I thought might be it, a 5amp, but it was fine. I couldn't find any other fuses in that area.

Comment

The main fuse is fine as well as the battery, the battery ground is also fine. Could it be the ignition switch? Would that just cut out as I am riding? Thanks
            for the help.

Comment

Don't believe that the fuse is fine. My 450 has a single tube fuse. When it wnet it looked fine but was bad. I'm actually going to put a blade type fuse in to avoid this in the future.
              1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
              The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

what is the difficulty of doing that snark? my tubes are still fine so far, but i love blade styles a lot better...

Comment

Originally posted by scottp8113 View Post
                  what is the difficulty of doing that snark? my tubes are still fine so far, but i love blade styles a lot better...
                  Since I only have one fuse it was really easy. All I did was get a blade fuse hold (I actually bought 5 off of Ebay in a lot for $6 including shipping). Then, just remove the section of wire holding the old fuse holder and replace it with the new peice. Put in a 15amp blade fuse and you're done.
                  1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                  The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by jdmae92 View Post
                    I was riding my 550 today and everything was going fine for the first 15 minutes or so then it just cut out. There is no power when I turn the key. The battery was fine when I started and it was running great until all of a sudden it just died. Any ideas what it could be? Stator?
                    On my GS550B (77 model) I had exactly the same problem. Broke down miles from anywhere. It turned out to be the main wire from the battery to the ignition switch. You need to take the headlight apart to get to the connection where the ignition switch plugs into the wiring harness. I think from memory it was the orange wire and it was broken right at the base of the ignition switch. The switch is held in position by two socket head screws from underneath (5mm I think). When the wiring is apart in the headlight shell you can unplug ignition switch connection and test with a multimeter for power. There should always be 12VDC to ignition switch, when the key is turned it then distributes voltage to other parts of the bike, coils, lights, blinkers, etc.

Comment

I'll take a look at the ignition switch today, I also think i have a blade fuse holder laying around so I will switch that out too. Thanks for the help.

Comment

UPDATE. I replaced the fuse with a blade style in a holder I had laying around and that fixed the problem. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                        X