Saddleman Easy chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saddleman Easy chair

Has anyone here put a Saddleman EasyChair on a 1979 750 L ? They show it will fit a 1980-1981. I emailed them, and they really don't know.

They also make a seat that looks simular to the original called the LTD. Has anyone used this seat, and how does it feel?

Thanks,

Greg

I got one for my '80 850L, and was less than pleased. It was about 2" short, couldn't install the rubber blocks on it, the cover doesn't line up with the keyhole, I think they skimped on the foam, I'm riding on it, but I doubt that I'll put over 30k miles on it before I have a better one made.

Comment

Greg,

We have one on my wife's 850L. The first one that came was moved forward about 2 inches from the stock location (probably to give more room for the passenger), but the stitching around the seat lock was really bad, so I sent it back for repair/replacement. They sent back a new seat with the driver's bucket area moved back to the stock location. Comfort is good. In fact, after an all-day ride on my Wing with its Corbin saddle, I look forward to getting on her bike to move it into the garage because the seat is more comfortable than mine. :shock: And, it's not just that it's a different seat...I have done a two-hour ride on her bike, spent a couple of hours at a guy's house, then done the two-hour ride home in comfort.

Not sure if it will fit your 750, but we live close enough that it won't take much to find out. Besides, it's been quite a few years since we have seen each other, it's time to catch up. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would like to know if it fits to.

Comment

I like the seat.

The original seat on my 1100G was dead, top and bottom. Even the foam was not worth salvaging.

I bought a pan from an 1100E, cut it apart, extended it, made new forward mounts and put the seat on the new pan.

The pan matched the original in size and placement so the comment about spacing is accurate, as the seat does not fit snug against the tank and leaves a small gap.

The comment about cushioning was interesting: I had to remove some of the foam when I found I could barely reach the ground. Despite that, I found it quite comfortable, but if you weigh over 150 lbs it may be different for you.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I bought the seat from jc whitney and took it to a local upholstery place and I couldn't be happier. I think I paid $130 for the seat and $50 to have it fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
              I would like to know if it fits to.
              Elky, you live quite a bit closer to me than Greg does. How about we just get together and tell Greg the results? :shock:

I am in North Carolina right now, not sure if I will be home Monday or Tuesday, but The Cafe Kid can give you my number. 8-[

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sweet I'll talk to cafe and get your number.

Comment

I just bought a 1980 GS850L with that seat on it and it's awful! In fact, I've already bought an old OEM seat to recover. It's fine for the first 1/2 hour, then you're butt starts so complain. After an hour, your tail bone is really starting to hurt. After an hour and a half, you won't be able to stay on the bike. The foam is way too soft, and I agree that the seat forces you about 2" too far forward placing your feet behind you on the pegs. My old 450 was far more comfortable with the stock seat!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                    Has anyone here put a Saddleman EasyChair on a 1979 750 L ? They show it will fit a 1980-1981. I emailed them, and they really don't know.

They also make a seat that looks simular to the original called the LTD. Has anyone used this seat, and how does it feel?

Thanks,

Greg
                    I just got brave and ordered one of the easy chairs for the 80-81's from Dennis Kirk to try on my 79 750. The seat pans don't look a lot different, so it might just work. Just have to fill in the hole in the back for the lock.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Well, for anyone curious, the seat did not fit! the 79 pan is wider through the middle and stern (rear for you non nautical types LOL!), ... just like an ex girlfriend of mine!

Comment

JHawkins,

Thanks for the experiment with the seat. Just curious if you have tried anything else. I have not done anything with mine yet, and will probably wait till the end of the riding season.

Thanks

Greg

Comment

I purchased some double layer foam camping mattress which was very stiff foam. I went to town with it and some 3M spray adhesive and got the shape I wanted for the seat.

The next step I debated and then finally settled on going with a local Upholstery lady and had her recover the seat with some really high end material and a very simple pattern. It was a 4 way stretch material and was like 50 bucks a yard, so hopefully it will last. Total was about 30 for the foam and adhesive, 160 for the recover. A little pricey, but I ended up with exactly what I wanted and it is very comfy!
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2008, 12:59 PM.

Comment

here is a view of it on the bike

Comment

Thanks JHawkins, That looks real nice, I just might have to give that a try with mine after riding season is over this year.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X