Check your connectors!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your connectors!!!

Before I went for a ride this beautiful sunny morning, I decided to put my new '78 1000 through the tests in the stator papers. Test good, all is well, good to go, flying colors...almost.

Looked at the connectors hidden inside that rubber sleeve under the air filter, all showed signs of heat, several were partly melted and stuck together, and two were so badly damaged I don't see how they were not shorted. Connector insulators completely melted and stuck together, wire insulation burnt.

Interestingly, it has a Suzuki rectifier and a Mitsubishi regulator. WTF?

So now new spade connectors all around, separate ground from the regulator to the battery, and it is snowing.
    Last edited by tkent02; 04-03-2008, 05:50 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Yep, BTDT
    BEFORE

AFTER
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Yep, BTDT
      BEFORE

AFTER
      I got "lucky". My bike caught on fire (long story told in another thread) the 3rd day after I got it home. The resulting damage to the wiring harness prompted me to just buy a whole new harness. At $150.00 I'm really glad I did it. New wiring front to back now.

Comment

Check your shorts

Hi Mr. tkent02,

Thanks for the reminder to do a periodic visual inspection of all the bike's systems, fluid levels, tire pressure, etc.

Here's my "before" picture. (Actually, this is after I cleaned it up just a bit.)

And here is my "after" picture:

You may notice the charred green remains of the loop going up to the non-existent headlight switch. Those wires were just cut back and taped off, out of the circuit.

Mr. duaneage's Honda r/r, new stator, new AGM battery, cleaned up wiring, zip, zam, zowie, and SWOOSH! \\/

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          , zip, zam, zowie, and SWOOSH! \\/

BassCliff
          Cliff, you gotta stop watching those old Batman episodes..its really starting to get to you :P :shock:

Comment

Zip, zam, zowie, and SWOOSH!

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Originally posted by BassCliff
            ...zip, zam, zowie, and SWOOSH!
            Cliff, you gotta stop watching those old Batman episodes..its really starting to get to you :P :shock:
            Heheh. I'm going to show my age here. Do you remember this guy?

He is Super Bwoing of the Super Six. He's a clumsy super-hero who flies around on his guitar and shoots laser beams from his eyes. It's his battle cry I quoted.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Great!!

Your wiring looks great, Clifford!!\\/ I've just recently become a true believer in that it makes a lot of difference!!:-D
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I changed a stator connector this year. While I was at it I put on a new base gasket, head gasket, head and gonna do it all over again cause someone set my end ring gap to large. Thanks Kris V for picking me up rings from APE for me since he lives next door practically.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Why are the spade's recommended over bullets? I'm just curious, I'm going to redo some of mine in the near future.

Comment

Cause when you push bullets together ,the female socket spreads on eventually become loose.Basscliff old mate, when you use zip ties,cut the tail off flush with a box cutter(??--we call them 'Stanley' knives),then roll the buckle around so it's hidden.Makes your wiring much more tidierer.Cheers,Simon.:-D

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

True

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                      Cause when you push bullets together ,the female socket spreads on eventually become loose.Basscliff old mate, when you use zip ties,cut the tail off flush with a box cutter(??--we call them 'Stanley' knives),then roll the buckle around so it's hidden.Makes your wiring much more tidierer.Cheers,Simon.:-D
                      I think it's probably also because with spades, there is more surface area in contact with each side.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Bullets are brass, when it tarnishes it does not conduct electricity. Spades are some form of steel which doesn't seem to rust, it conducts even when it's old. Also when the two halves are slid together the female part digs into the surface of the male part baring fresh metal. Just a better design overall.

Comment

Connectors, both spade and bullet, have current ratings. As long as you have the appropriate capacity it doesn’t matter what you use.

When installing the CBR R/R on my 850 I went around the local auto part suppliers and was very disappointed in the quality of available connectors; none are water proof and most are just cheap junk. The better quality stuff, such as from 3M, is quite expensive for what it is and still not water proof. In the end I just soldered the stator wires direct to the R/R with heat shrink tubing over the joint. Not what I wanted to do but the best solution I could come up with.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

Connectors, both spade and bullet, have current ratings. As long as you have the appropriate capacity it doesn’t matter what you use.
                            I'm sure Suzuki used appropriately rated connectors for the current requirements, and yet they are mostly all burning up. Spades don't burn up, unless a short circuit or electrical fire sends way too much current through it.
                            Bullets suck when they get old.
                            Agreed the available stuff is of poor quality.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Bullets are brass, when it tarnishes it does not conduct electricity. Spades are some form of steel which doesn't seem to rust, it conducts even when it's old. Also when the two halves are slid together the female part digs into the surface of the male part baring fresh metal. Just a better design overall.
                              Silver colored spade terminals are typically brass with a tin or lead-tin outer coating. Tin alloyed with lead used to be the standard plating (and is still standard for high reliability type connections such as used in aerospace and medical equipment) but pure tin has become the defacto standard these days since lead is being phased out.
                              Last edited by Nessism; 04-04-2008, 12:54 PM.
                              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                              X