The bane of my existence - '80 GS1100e Check Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bane of my existence - '80 GS1100e Check Panel

Ok here is the deal, I am doing a GSXR front end swap and Bandit rear end and I hate the gauges on the bike right now. I tore them down to examine the check panel and it looks like a pretty simple circuit board but my wiring diagram of the bike is extremely confusing. I need to bypass this board as I no longer have a use for it but it is not as simple as just unplugging the connectors and here is why: all of the switches including the hi/low beam, brake lights and tail light run through the board in order to trip the warning light when the circuit breaks. I'm fairly certain this won't be that difficult to do, but I don't want to start cutting things up and risk breaking something. I'm hoping one of you may be an electrical guru with access to the wiring diagram for my bike (if not and you're willing to help let me know and I will scan it). I need to know which wires need connected to which in order for everything to operate still but without the check panel. This board is totally separate from the oil/neutral/turn/hi beam lights on most GS's. For reference here are some pics of the board and connectors - they aren't meant to show too much detail but rather a reference point for what I am dealing with.

If one of you guys can help me out you can have your pick of my spare parts or I can send you a few bucks, I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by liloaty View Post
    Ok here is the deal, I am doing a GSXR front end swap and Bandit rear end and I hate the gauges on the bike right now. I tore them down to examine the check panel and it looks like a pretty simple circuit board but my wiring diagram of the bike is extremely confusing. I need to bypass this board as I no longer have a use for it but it is not as simple as just unplugging the connectors and here is why: all of the switches including the hi/low beam, brake lights and tail light run through the board in order to trip the warning light when the circuit breaks. I'm fairly certain this won't be that difficult to do, but I don't want to start cutting things up and risk breaking something. I'm hoping one of you may be an electrical guru with access to the wiring diagram for my bike (if not and you're willing to help let me know and I will scan it). I need to know which wires need connected to which in order for everything to operate still but without the check panel. This board is totally separate from the oil/neutral/turn/hi beam lights on most GS's. For reference here are some pics of the board and connectors - they aren't meant to show too much detail but rather a reference point for what I am dealing with.

If one of you guys can help me out you can have your pick of my spare parts or I can send you a few bucks, I'm desperate.

Thanks in advance.
    I would say start with wiring diagrams for the latest year that did not have this check panel, then figure out how to make your bike the same.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well I sat down with another gear head friend tonight and we hammered it out in about 2 hours. I'm pretty sure it will work but I'm too tired to go test. I'll report back tomorrow.

Comment

Done! and it works to boot! Was a little more complicated than I anticipated but well worth the effort.

Comment

Rubber button

I don't mean to crash your thread but the rubber button on the tripometer on my 1980 GS1100E is totally rotten and I notice it isn't a part you can buy. Is that an issue that any of you have dealt with?? I think I could carve one out of a piece of rubber...but I'd rather not.:shock:
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
            I don't mean to crash your thread but the rubber button on the tripometer on my 1980 GS1100E is totally rotten and I notice it isn't a part you can buy. Is that an issue that any of you have dealt with?? I think I could carve one out of a piece of rubber...but I'd rather not.:shock:
            Well I don't know how to fix it but I've got a tach and speedo I'll sell you for cheap if you want it lol.

Comment

Pm

I'm gonna PM you!
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
              X