Valve Shim Changing Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Shim Changing Tool

i saw the motion pro tool at z1enterprises but i have access to genuine suzuki tools at a dealer i work for part time. does anybody know what the "genuine suzuki part number" is so i can possibly find it in thier mass array of tool drawers?

got it. good ol alphasports! price was something like 130 bucks! i might buy the motion pro if i can't get to use the one at the shop. i would rather buy the tool than do the "zip tie" method.

Comment

hey don't waste your money. The tool work and all, but the zip tie approach works way better and only cost about $2 is you don't have large zip ties laying around.

Cory

Comment

I "second" the zip tie method, but it has become a point of a little "contention" on the forum. To avoid any possibility of a piece breaking off the zip tie I folded it almost in half similiar to the pdf file's instructions and then taped the ends over together. Just in case it splits you have both sides taped and it should be outside of the spark plug hole when inserting. Don't use cheap thin zip ties that might break. Also, gently insert the zip tie (you'll get the hang of it) and don't try to pull hard when removing. Maybe you have to re-position the cam lobe by turning the crank to be sure the valve isn't still compressed against the zip tie. And by inserting gently(not poking or jamming it in) I guess you reduce the risk of flaking carbon off that might cause the valve not to seat properly. I'm still not convinced that plastic will scrape off hardened carbon but I'm not trying to start any arguments..... ...
        ....and that the "proper" shim tools don't present it's own user problems.
        And maybe it's over cautious but I use the shop vac on each cylinder if all the plugs have been off for any time and my being paranoid about things falling in!
        Last edited by Guest; 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I scrapped the crude out of my knuckles and pinched my fingers a bunch when using the shim tool. I like the zip ties a whole lot better.

Cory

Comment

I've used the zip tie several times now on a few different bikes. No problem- works great.

Comment

Another yes for zip ties. I have never changed the shims before and it was really easy to do.

Comment

i'll borrow the tool from the shop and then do it the zip tie way after i realize the tool is probably more of a pain in the a55 than anything! thanks everyone.

Comment

"Zip Tie method" PDF

I can't get past the "girly popups" on the mediafile site to get the zip tie method download. Will someone please send me a copy of the pdf

Thanks
                  dom@ddominik.com

Comment

Mail sent, no pop-ups included. 8-[

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by suegip
                      I don't get it. When I do my valves, the tool works fine, I have no complaints. Do some people really have trouble using it, or are they just to cheap to buy the tool, so they say zip ties are a better way?..mike
                      I've done both now, and I find that I have to be careful with the tool to keep it from slipping off the cam bucket.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by suegip
                        I haven't done it both ways, so I shouldn't be critical of it, I guess..mike
                        I've never used the tool, but it would have to be damn easy because zip tie is "a 5 year old could do it" easy.

Comment

Working...
                        X