Fork seals (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seals (again)

Look at this pic, what side of seal goes UP, toward rider? The left or right one is facing up? Thank you.
    Terry
    Cheap hosting and free web tools. Build your website with our easy webpage builder, web tools, web services, and free website content.

p.s. Are those old seals glued in? I swear they have been in 23 years!

Don't scratch what?

Maybe found the answer myself .
    "The seals seal against the shiny part of the forks. Don't scratch that up. The outer perimeter of the seal, the part that is shouldered down in the bore, is metal encased in plastic and likely it is glued into place. (bad form don't do it) But because the lips of the seal work against the shiny part of the fork, you don't need to worry excesively about the walls of the bore. You can make some pretty bad gouges in that bore and not come to ultimate grief. Of course you don't want to.

So take an old unloved screwdriver and grind it into a point, bend it over so it looks like a fish hook, stab it into those seal lips and pull.

Be MUCH more careful with your new seals."

Thanks silverhorse47

Comment

the part of the seal that has the spring around it is always the side that has the oil against it. The same goes with grease seals.

Steve

Comment

I had a look at the seals I pulled out of my 400 a few months ago and they had the writing on the outside. I didn't even notice that both sides has springs on them...that means I put in the wrong kind.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the info

Comment

Another thing on fork seals. A goggle search will add insight to removal of seals also lots of bike owners have the same probs as us I guess.

Comment

Working...
            X