Electric starter is weak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric starter is weak

It's nice to finally be able to ride again. I've tried keeping the battery charged all winter since I couldn't ride, but I've taken it out a couple times in January and February. I got a new battery last spring and it worked fine until this spring.

When I go to start the bike, I find that the starter motor somehow doesn't have enough juice to start the engine. This is when the bike is cold or warmed up. The kick starter provides reliable starts, but the electric starter is really only good for if I'm accidentally stalled at a stop light. Is my motor worn, or is the battery just lousy. The battery is of the kind you get from Pep Boys.

Check the battery first. You need to find out how many amps it
    has. I had a problem with mine not having enough amps to
    run the starter but the volts were fine. There should be a
    place near you that will check the battery for free like Pasco.
    Charge the battery fully before you bring it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by 80-81, GS 1100 View Post
      Check the battery first. You need to find out how many amps it
      has. I had a problem with mine not having enough amps to
      run the starter but the volts were fine. There should be a
      place near you that will check the battery for free like Pasco.
      Charge the battery fully before you bring it to them.
      To have it fully charged, would it be fine if I rode it around for a while then checked it? My charger doesn't give a good indication on how much charge goes into it.

Comment

It sounds like your battery is bad. Did you do the proper charge up cycle that your battery recommended? I also would buy a battery tender specific for small batteries/motorcycles. I have a Yuasa Smart Shot that only charges at 1.5 amps until the battery is full and then maintains that charge indefinitely. (great for winter storage.) If you're using a normal car battery charger you are probably over charging.

I just went through this with a sealed battery. Is your headlight working fine with the turn signals flashing? Mine didn't hold enough of a charge to keep the headlight on.

My problem was from an old over charging issue I had on my last regulator/rectifier.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Get a multi-meter if you don't have one already. Put it on DC and the dial on 20V. Check the battery with everything off. Then with the ignition on. Then while hitting the starter button. Post the numbers.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I'm gonna have to look for a multimeter if this becomes a big problem. I had charging issues in the past, so I got one of those Honda R/R's and things worked fine. When I got the battery, it basically said to fill it with acid and install in the bike.

Everything else on the bike works, the headlight is good, the turn signals work, but when they're on the dim the headlight. I have grip heaters installed and even when they're on high, the headlight still stays bright enough.

Comment

Acid fill battery

>>>>When I got the battery, it basically said to fill it with acid and install in the bike.

You might want to go reread the directions. I think the batteries you have to fill with acid require sitting for a few hours with an ocassional shake.

I though that was strange when I swapped out a battery, but unless you get a sealed or gel cell unit that is what you have to do. It weakens the battery otherwise.

Do a search for some more descriptions.

Posplayr

Comment

It's been a while since I got the battery, so I'm not 100% on that. I couldn't find any place that had sealed batteries so I had to go for the fillable kind.

Comment

Don't add tap water, it will kill the battery. I bought a new battery every 2 years before I got a maintenance free one with a decent warranty. Big difference in quality, the cheap pep boys batteries don't seem to last.
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X