A twofer-Q about chain and noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muser3 View Post
    I am happy to get the info on cleaning the chain, having just put a new one on to replace the very rusted and stiff chain that was on the bike. I have ridden it enough to adjust the tension once and now I know how to keep it clean. This is my first chain bike since the late 50's and it's much better than the old chains I was used to. I really like the chain drive and don't notice a big difference when I ride the BMW or Goldwing bikes. As long as the power transfer is smooth and strong it doesn't seem to matter a great deal how it gets to the drive wheel.
    Lee :-)
    Well, conversely, the 1100G i bought recently would be my first SHAFT drive bike. I notice just as smooth power delivery with the shaft as a propperly maintained chain. Whats kind of nice is that i now can hear my motor spinning (as i love that sound personally) without chain noise. However, me being a nut case, I find myself hearing things that i would have never heard on a chain drive, so it took me a little while to get used to hearing EVERYTHING thats going on down there. Having said that, the only thing i find a bit annoying about a shaftie is the inability to play with gear ratios like you can with a chain. Everyone complains about maintenence costs, but ive been able to find final drives on ebay relatively frequently, and MOST of them, in good condition, go for less than the cost of a good o-ring chain.

Comment

Originally posted by Muser3 View Post
      I am happy to get the info on cleaning the chain, having just put a new one on to replace the very rusted and stiff chain that was on the bike. I have ridden it enough to adjust the tension once and now I know how to keep it clean. This is my first chain bike since the late 50's and it's much better than the old chains I was used to.

Lee :-)
      I hope you changed out sprockets as well, worn sprockets will eat a new chain in no time.

You will find new O or X -ring chains are very good nowadays. I had a 97 ZX-9 that had just under 30,000km on the OEM chain and still had life left in it when I sold the bike. My current 06 GSXR1K has not even needed an adjustment in the first 11,000km.

Just a small effort spent on maintenance will get you lots of miles from that new chain and many years of service. Keep it clean, keep the rust off and enjoy.

Mark

Comment

[quote=Muser3;844431]
        Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        However, me being a nut case, I find myself hearing things that i would have never heard on a chain drive, so it took me a little while to get used to hearing EVERYTHING thats going on down there.
        Wear earplugs!

Mark

Comment

Working...
        X