Cheapest Way to clean carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheapest Way to clean carbs

Is there any cheap way to clean the carbs? and i mean really cheap i'm going to school full time and working part time so i'm pretty much broke as a joke. so if anyone has a cheap way to clean the carbs i would love to hear it

Bucket of carb dip $25 and o rings from Robert Bar < $10 on this site. It's about as cheap as it gets.

Comment

$20-25 for a can of Berryman's carb cleaner dip.
      $15 or less for a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com.

Skip a pizza or two, or drop the lattes for a week and you'll have those carbs clean in no time. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Find 4 other people near you that need to do the same thing and everyone chip in around $15-$20.

Cory

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          $20-25 for a can of Berryman's carb cleaner dip.
          $15 or less for a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com.

Skip a pizza or two, or drop the lattes for a week and you'll have those carbs clean in no time. 8-[

Which of the two sets of o rings from cycleorings.com do i want to get. i have a 80' gs850

Comment

You want the ones for the BS series carbs, item #1. You will also do well to get the intake o-rings, item #3.
            If you really want to go whole hog, get the stainless fasteners for the intake tubes (lower down the page on item #3).
            Won't add much to the cost, and makes the job so much nicer.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

GSJake, if you would take a few moments to add a little to your profile, we can see what you ride and what little corner of the world you call "home".
              There is a decent chance that there might be someone in your area that would be willing to help you, too. 8-[

Edit: thanks for the location update. \\/

Last edited by Steve; 04-07-2008, 08:51 PM.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

i cleaned my carbs for .. uh. 2 dollars or so. used an old toothbrush and a solution of very hot water and vinagar/very hot water and barkeepers friend.

Comment

Yes, I heard you can boil them in a pan of water & lemon juice too!

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                  1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                  1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                  2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                  1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                  2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                    Yes, I heard you can boil them in a pan of water & lemon juice too!

Dan
                    Just don't let your wife catch you using the good cookware:shock:!

Comment

watch out, anything that is acidic will corrode them, making them a dull greyish black colour. you CAN remove it.. i boiled the first carb in a baking soda solution with the same results, barkeepers friend DID remove the corrosion for the most part, but i'd say stick with elbow grease personally.. cause it's free and won't hurt the bodies!

Comment

also, don't use an aluminium can or pot if you are boiling with baking soda or anything, as the can itself will have a reaction and blacken the carb

Use a steel can or pot

(don't ask me how I know)

Comment

I've posted this a few times but hot water and liquid dishwasher soap works wonders. Scrub with an old toothbrush (or your roommate's ).

Try Harbor Freight for a set of metric nitrile o-rings.

Comment

It's important to clean the inside passages of the carbs, so that means soaking the carbs in something. The lemon juice idea sounds interesting...
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Lemon juice or vinegar = acid.
                              Dishwasher soap = alkali.

Either one will disolve gunk without destroying plastic or rubber. Petroleum based solvents will degrade rubber and plastics by breaking down the molecular structure. Plastic will become fragile. Rubber will dissolve.

Comment

Working...
                              X