where is everyone when i need help????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is everyone when i need help????

My sons friend just asked me if i would like to ride with Him(1000cc virago) I said i would if my son Jon came with us also. Jon agreed as long as i would let him ride the 650 yammy (( he doesnt like the reversed shift pattern on the suzuki)). I was elated to have my son to ride with. they started thier bikes and i rolled the thing to the street and went through my cold start proceedure. Fuel on--full choke--light switch off. pull the clutch--push the button. HEY no loud engine noise. Only the whining of the starter spinning like the devil.
    Well they went for a ride and i pushed the gs back into the garage. I will have to see what is wrong with the starter clutch.
    I never had the rotor off. It looks like an animal job.

ALL HELP AND TIPS NEEDED BADLY 8O 8O 8O
    THE STARTER HAS NEVER MISSED BEFORE. DOES THIS JUST HAPPEN FROM ONE SECOND TO THE NEXT. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT THE STARTER IS SPINNING. THATS ALL THE SYMPTOMS I CAN THINK OF.

when mine went it sheared the bolts in the starter clutch, but it was making a lot of noise before it went.I had a two week warning at least. had to take the bike to the dealer dissasembled cause it called for some special "suzuki" tool I didnt have. They removed and put in the upgraded bolts and i reassembled it for $50 dollars, wich was one hours labor. pop the starter over and make sure the starter gear is engaging. You might have just old starter trouble

Comment

Originally posted by skip[
      when mine went it sheared the bolts in the starter clutch, but it was making a lot of noise before it went.I had a two week warning at least. had to take the bike to the dealer dissasembled cause it called for some special "suzuki" tool I didnt have. They removed but in the upgraded bolts and i reassembled it for $50 dollars,wich was one hours labor. pop the starter over and make sure the starter gear is engaging. You might have just old starter trouble
      ILL TAKE THE COVER OFF TO SEE WHATS HAPPENING. MAYBE TOMORROWE. IT NEVER MADE A SOUND EXCEPT FOR THE STARTER SPINNING AND I WAS RIDING ALL OVER THE PLACE YESTERDAY AND IT STARTED WITH A TOUCH OF THE BUTTON AS USUAL NOW IT DOESNT TURN THE ENGINE OVER A BIT.
      Now that i think about it i did hear a sound from the engine that i figured was the exhaust manifold starting to leak again. My hearing is bad and ill just bet it was actually the sound of metal.

Comment

I have the cover off and i can rotate the gear behind the magnet wheel easily. Nothing is rattling or crunching. I am preparing to remove the nut from the magnet wheel and then remove it. I have to wait for a helper to wake up. I dont understand how the device works i see in the book that there are 3 sets of springs and barrels that must engage somewhere when turned by the starter. . Any advice as to what to look for when i remove the magnet wheel??

Comment

the springs 'n barrels let the starter clutch spin only one way, look for broken springs, square barrels, barrels not going all the way down to shaft, I did mine so long ago I can barely remember, but I'll try!

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
            the springs 'n barrels let the starter clutch spin only one way, look for broken springs, square barrels, barrels not going all the way down to shaft, I did mine so long ago I can barely remember, but I'll try!
            Dave it seems like the hardest part will be to get the magnet drum off. i had someone hold the brake while it was in fifth. The nut didn't budge and the brake slipped
            mabe ill put a pipe in the rim to hold it against the frame. any ideas on that.

Comment

Ok im making progress. As i was going to the garage for something to put in the wheel to hold it stationary, I spotted a home made BO in the corner. It was just pefect because i figured the wood would take the beating before the rim did. The nut came loose easily and next i must see if one of my pullers will do the trick. I'll try the rubber and plastic hammers first.
              Again any ideas or tips will be welcome.

Comment

there's a special puller for the rotor, I have one for the 82, but I think the 83 has a larger shaft end...

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
                  there's a special puller for the rotor, I have one for the 82, but I think the 83 has a larger shaft end...
                  Thats the suzuki specially tool I told you about scotty, thats why i brought my dissasembled bike to suzuki, they pulled it off and replaced the sheard bolts and charged $50 that was 8 years ago

Comment

The ID is approx. 33.5 mm, where it threads onto crank shaft

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                      The nut came loose easily and next i must see if one of my pullers will do the trick. I'll try the rubber and plastic hammers first.
                      I did this on my '79 550... The Haynes manual suggested the following: The swing-arm bolt is a perfect fit for the hole you just removed a bolt from... Get a slide-hammer handle (or suitable replacement). Remove the swing-arm bolt, put the handle on the swing-arm bolt, and fit into the magnet. Took a bit of banging, but it comes out pretty nicely this way.

Michael

P.S. Of course, this was for the '79 550. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                        Ok im making progress. As i was going to the garage for something to put in the wheel to hold it stationary, I spotted a home made BO in the corner. It was just pefect because i figured the wood would take the beating before the rim did. The nut came loose easily and next i must see if one of my pullers will do the trick. I'll try the rubber and plastic hammers first.
                        Okay, I read this will work. Get a pair of jumper cables and wrap them around the stator housing, then attatch the ends to the battery....no, wait that was another problem.

Terry

Comment

Okay, I read this will work. Get a pair of jumper cables and wrap them around the stator housing, then attatch the ends to the battery....no, wait that was another problem.

Terry[/quote]

Oh no....Don't let me get started on that one again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Terry
                            Too funny. Scotty could probably use a good laugh right about now.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01

Terry

Oh no....Don't let me get started on that one again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

TERRY YOU ARE AN ELECTRICAL WIZARD(TROUBLEMAKER.)
                              I had actually forgotten about that classic. :? :? :? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X