Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starter clutch problems

Originally posted by Carter Turk
    Scotty, the special rotor tool is the way to go. I paid 25 for mine. It's a breeze with the tool. If you read my 1150 curses solved post in the GS stories section it describes a dowel on the backside of the rotor hidden beneath the three 8mm allen bolts holding the starter clutch to the rotor. Not all the models have one, but mine sheared the three allen bolts three different times.

The problem was the dowel backed into the recess hole in the starter clutch, putting all the force on the 8mm allen bolts. I had the dowel lengthened so part of it would always be abutting the rotor. I've had no problems since.

The hard part is torquing the rotor back on to spec. I made a rotor holder out of angle iron and one three-way c-clamp. Its best to have the bike on the ground to do this as the angle iron rests on the ground with the sawed off tri-clamp bolted to it and threaded into the two external holes on the outside of the rotor.

The angle iron resting on the ground allows you to torque the rotor nut without the engine spinning counter clockwise. The holes on the outside of the rotor must align in such a way so the angle iron rests on the ground at 4 or 5 oclock.

I hope I didn't spew too much useless information. Carter Turk
    I had mine done 8 years ago and it is just starting to make that dreaded noise it made before it sheared the bolts (about one out of twenty times I start the bike I hear it) Hopefuly ill get a few months before I have to do it again. How much was the rotor puller? and carter thanks for mentioning the dowel, ill look for that when I get it apart. last time I sent dissasembeled bike to the dealer and they pulled it off and replaced the bolts and retourqued it for $50 (one hour labor) that still may be an option.

Comment

I just called Denis Kirk AND THE TOOL I ORDERED IS NOT IN STOCK iT IS HE 30MM SIZE. tHE MOUTH ON THE OTHER END SAID THERE WAS NO INFORMATION AS TO WHEN THE ITEM WOULD BE IN SOCK. dOES ANY ONE KNOW OF ANOTHER PLACE THAT SELLS THIS TOOL. iT IS THE ROTOR PULLER FOR THE CHARGING SYSTEM ON MY GS1100E 1983

Comment

I cancelled dennis Kirks back order. My local Suzuki dealer check stock with thier supplier called Parts unlimited. It will be here early next week and is about 5 or 6 bucks cheaper even with the tax. Now if it works 8O
        Parts unlimied is a wholesale outfit.

Comment

Originally posted by GSbuilder
          Originally posted by crwper
          I did this on my '79 550... The Haynes manual suggested the following: The swing-arm bolt is a perfect fit for the hole you just removed a bolt from... Get a slide-hammer handle (or suitable replacement). Remove the swing-arm bolt, put the handle on the swing-arm bolt, and fit into the magnet. Took a bit of banging, but it comes out pretty nicely this way.

Michael

P.S. Of course, this was for the '79 550. Your mileage may vary.
          My manual said the same thing, but I mentioned it to the head tech at my shop and he almost had a coronary. Suzuki used a pressed crank, nad if you use this method and the rotor is fully and wholly stuck, you will separate the crank, resulting in terminal engine damage. It was kinda funny when I told him what I was gonna do to see his reaction
          Good point. Only time I did this was when completely disassembling the engine. The crank seemed fine afterward, but I can definitely see the potential for a problem with the pressed crank. Thanks!

Michael

Comment

Dom,

What happened?

Did it work out fine?

Comment

Originally posted by kz
              Dom,

What happened?

Did it work out fine?
              I have the tool on the bike now. I tightened it up as far as my bum arm would allow. I wacked it a few times with a hammer. now the tool is attached to the rotor and the rotor is still stuck on the end of the crankshaft.. I happen to have 2 huge Finnish brothers that live down the street and I have asked them to assist me. I will try again tomorrow morning. If they cant do it i will have to find a couple of those giant Sweedes . Its tough in Florida. In NY you could find all sorts of giants here and there.

Comment

Scotty wrote:
                .......If they cant do it i will have to find a couple of those giant Sweedes . Its tough in Florida. In NY you could find all sorts of giants here and there.
                Forget the Swedes Scotty, just send a bus ticket up my ways, and I'll send the wife on down there to take care of it. If she can't make the thing budge, no one can. Hell, she can probably do it with that Nazi stare of hers alone..........frankly, the woman scares me half to death sometimes. Besides, it'll give me a few days of freedom

P.S. Will have to erase this post very soon, before wife might ever get a chance to read it......
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Well normally my buddy bigdaddy ((a german giant))is around but he just went back to Boone N.C. for the summer. I had a tyalk with hap this morning and is seems that i was just being too gentle with the happer. Well it off now but in the process i missed and wacked the magnetic material on the rotor. i crystalized some of it so I will be replacing that just in case. I just called Murdoch racing 800 237-7223 or http://www.murdochracing.com/ asked for jay and it turns out that he has hired someone to organize his inventory of used suzuki parts. I will call back tuesday cause the guy is out with the race team. Thanks for offering the help of your wife. i have always had a weakness for those German girls any way. If they like you you are safe but if not
                  BTW if any one calls Murdoch and asks for jay say Domenic sent you. Somehow he rememberd me. I dont remember what i did to him but he always treated me like gold in spite of the fact that i dont use tyhat many parts. Bou would i love to get him as a sponsor for a street/strip machine.

Comment

Scotty, glad to hear that you got it off, too bad about the other part though. Are you planning on visiting BigDaddy up in Boone anytime this summer? If you do, I'd like to ride up and meet you in person.

Comment

Working...
                    X