Terrible Gas Mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible Gas Mileage

Okay, so this might be far out there, but I've checked everything else. My gas mileage is roughly 25 miles per gallon. So far what I've done is: 1) All valve clearences set exactly at nominal (mid-tolerance), 2) Just did the re-powering coils mod, 3) cleaned carbs three times by total disassembly and Berryman's - followed the cleaning document to a tee with all new gaskets, o-rings, etc., 2) stock pipes and jets, 3) tested and confirmed ignition and electrical systems, 4) new sparkplugs, 5) tuned the bike with Morgan Colortune and Carbtune both, 6) fresh oil, filter, and gas.

I have not done compression testing simply because I don't have a tester. However, the bike does smoke a bit (white). Not on idle, but it does smoke just a bit on acceleration. There are no oil leaks or oil in air box. The bike starts up immediately, idles and runs good, although I have never had a GS650 before so I really don't have a reference point. However, I do think the power should be much more...

My question is, and I hope it's not too stupid, could the extremely poor gas mileage and lack of power be because of bad rings/cylinders that demand more-than-usual gas to accelerate and drive? I don't know how else to phrase the question... If this could be possible, I assume I need to run out and get a compression tester.

Although the valve clearances might be correct, did you check the valve timing?

It is not unheard of to find one of the cams off by one tooth. This will affect overall compression and power.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Long shot but also check if anyone has drilled the slides... heavily oversized slide holes with a stock setup made my gas mileage at least 7 or 8 short of where it should have been.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks Guys. Steve, no I haven't checked timing either - another tool I don't have. But thanks, I will have to do that next. I didn't think of it because the bike runs so smoothly, and I didn't think it would if the chain was off.

Salty, I did check that some time ago when I read about it on the forum. The slides don't appear to be drilled - the throttle slides are real nice and snug with no "slop" and they all move freely.

So, what I'm hearing here is maybe timing is off. So my theory of worn-out rings causing excessive fuel consumption is pretty much off-mark? I really can't afford a timing light right now, but I can buy a compression tester just to see what numbers I get. If I get decent numbers, I guess the next issue is timing, which honestly intimidates me - sigh...

Comment

I believe what was meant was valve timing. For that you dont need anything more than a couple of wrenches and eyesight to see the cam timing marks. I wouldnt check compression before knowing the cam timing is correct. Ignition timing would influence how it runs, but would not alter compression readings.

Earl

Originally posted by Norseman View Post
          Thanks Guys. Steve, no I haven't checked timing either - another tool I don't have. But thanks, I will have to do that next. I didn't think of it because the bike runs so smoothly, and I didn't think it would if the chain was off.

Salty, I did check that some time ago when I read about it on the forum. The slides don't appear to be drilled - the throttle slides are real nice and snug with no "slop" and they all move freely.

So, what I'm hearing here is maybe timing is off. So my theory of worn-out rings causing excessive fuel consumption is pretty much off-mark? I really can't afford a timing light right now, but I can buy a compression tester just to see what numbers I get. If I get decent numbers, I guess the next issue is timing, which honestly intimidates me - sigh...
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
            I believe what was meant was valve timing. For that you dont need anything more than a couple of wrenches and eyesight to see the cam timing marks.
            Correct. To check the valve (cam) timing, you need to pull the cover off the right end of the crank and the valve cover. There is a mark on the crank for 1&4 TDC. When you can see that, the exhaust cam should have a #1 lined up with the top of the head surface. There should be a #2 mark pointing straight up. You will have to consult a manual that is specific to your bike and your year, because the following number may vary. Count the number of pins in the cam chain, starting with the pin that is over the #2 mark on the exhaust cam, ending with the #3 mark that is on the intake cam. Make sure it matches what the manual calls for on your bike.

Sometimes the exhaust is not lined up with the crank, sometimes the intake is not lined up with the exhaust. Either one can affect your mileage.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Many Thanks

Thanks so much, Guys. I will do that first thing tomorrow. I do have the Clymer's manual for my bike, and while I would much prefer the factory service manual, I have to believe Clymer has the numbers correct.

One thing I know for sure, whoever worked on the bike before I bought it last year should not be wrenching on bikes - there were a lot of dumb issues that I had to correct when I initially bought it. I say this because it is entirely possible, considering these other issues, that the valve timing is off from incorrect assembly... We'll see tomorrow after I read the Clymer's tonight :shock: I will post my results...

Comment

I just went back and re-read your original post and saw that you have a 650. Be very careful reading the manual to see how many pins need to be between the marks. The chain-drive bikes have one number, the shaft-drive bikes have another. :shock: Make sure you are reading the rights specs. 8-[

If I was home right now, I could give you page numbers in the Clymer manual, but I won't be home until tomorrow night.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Steve. I have the shaft model, and will make sure I verify the number is for shafties.

Comment

Compression Tester?

Well, checked timing and chain - all is what it should be, so the timing is not off. I guess that leads me to compression testing.

Anybody have any suggestions on compression testers? I checked out Motion Pro on Bike Bandit, and at $132 + shipping it's to expensive for me. Plus I would like to get one right away. Has anybody purchased one from AutoZone or NAPA or Murray?

Also, since this is my first compression test, here's another dumb question. I assume I run it first to warm up the engine and then without disconnecting fuel tank, just remove all four plugs and test one cylinder at a time with full open throttle? (even if this sprays gas/air into cylinders?)
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

i've used a couple different cheap compression testers from local autoparts stores for cars.. they may not be pretty, but they generally get the job done. i wouldn't sweat it, if you have a murrays near you, they probably have nice ones you can rent. they are awesome like that. 'nother michigander is good to see! we might have to have a tri state area rally or something!

Comment

Make sure the compression tester has an adapter for 12 mm plugs--most seem not to.

Comment

Thanks again, Guys. I checked out the various auto stores, and found Equus brand at Murrays for $25, Great Nech brand at AutoZone for $35, and HarborFreight has a Great Neck brand on sale for $15 (reg. $25). they all have 12mm adapters (Harbor Freight has 10mm, 12mm, and 14mm adapters).

So, since I will likely just use it once in awhile, it's off to Harbor Freight I go...

UPDATE: Don't bother buying the Harbor Freight compression tester - it broke apart on first useage...
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2008, 06:23 PM.

Comment

You're bike is using twice as much gas as it should. When I had a 650G, I got roughly 45 in town, and 55 on the road. Something is seriously wrong.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I agree, Tom, but I can't figure it out. Valve clearances set at around 0.05x, carbs cleaned and rebuilt, bike is tuned using CarbTune and Colortune, coils rewired with relay mod, new sparkplugs, compression on #1 & #4 is on the low end, #2 & #3 is around 165 psi, gas not leaking into engine...

I just don't understand what is causing this. The only thing I can think of is when I tore the carbs down last summer for a complete cleaning, I don't think I checked the actual numbers on pilot and main jets - I just assumed they were original since the bike is totally stock.

But if the PO did re-jet thinking in his ignorance it would be a good idea for more "power" or whatever, well, I guess that could cause excess fuel usage?

What else could it be? The throttle slides are fine. I just don't get it...

Comment

Working...
                              X