Wiring up the battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring up the battery

I mentioned this in my other post about my GS450 buildup, but I'm gonna post it here to make sure it gets read :P

I have a 1982 GS450, that seems to be missing a few wires that go to the battery. I know I need a ground from the battery to the frame/engine(which I have), and a wire from the starter solenoid to the battery (don't have), and one from the alternator to the battery (don't have, I don't think). What else do I need going to the battery?

Also, there's a black wire, that's rather small, about 14-18 gauge, somewhere in that range, with a yellow crimp on connector, hanging loose in the general vicinity of the battery. It's long enough to go to either terminal, so I didn't hook it up, since I wasn't sure what it went to. It goes up towards the seat area, where it catches a whole bunch of other wires in a wire loom. I may have to undo the loom so I can trace the wires, unless one of you guys can tell me what it is. I'll take pictures tomorrow when I have light.

Advice, and pictures, would be much appreciated!

grounds

Alternator/stator floats and is not directly tied to the battery. It goes to the Rectifier/Regulator.

The modification I did for grounding was to go
    a.) Solenoid to
    b.) R/R case,R/R ring lug ground
    c.) Battery negative

This is pretty clean.
    You can still run the solenoid to the frame ground but if that comes lose then your bike might not turn over because the solenoid coil will not energize.

Posplayr

Comment

But I do need positive from the battery to the starting solenoid, right? What else do I need to wire up the positive battery terminal to?

Comment

Originally posted by triggerzer0 View Post
        But I do need positive from the battery to the starting solenoid, right? What else do I need to wire up the positive battery terminal to?
        The +ve from the battery will also need go to the fuse block and the reg/rec.
        Cheers

Comment

Get a schematic

Boy this thread could get real confusing without any point of reference to comment against so I will at least clairify my own comments.I was mainly addressing grounding issues as those can be most confusing even if you have a schematic as the physical layout is not completely described in the schematic.I recommend getting a schematic /manual for your bike and make sure that you have the basics covered.One last comment, the only OEM conections that the Selonoid has to the battery are the heavy leads from the plus side that go through then tie to the starter motor. The selondoid energiser coil also gets +V but that is after flowing through the fuse box and ignition key and started button.I'm using a GS750 as a point of referencePosplayr

Comment

Working...
          X