Starting issues, solenoid smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issues, solenoid smoking

I've got a 1985 GS550ES, and I was just getting it back together tonight, to see how the bike ran with the fuel tank clean, and new plugs, and the carbs clean, and as I'm starting it... it basicly didn't seem like it had enough power to start.... So I put a battery box on the battery, and started again, it did about the same thing, then it started going and going, like... the button caught or something, even when I wasent trying to turn it over, it kept going, and going, durring this process, I started to smell something funny, I disconnected the battery, checked everything, couldent find anything wrong, so attempted to start again after reconnecting, and I got smoke comming up off the solenoid. Does that mean theres a bad solenoid? So now basicly, the bikes got power, but if you press the start button, it goes dead. I tried jumping the solenoid, but that didn't work. just a lot of sparks. Any ideas?

--John

Originally posted by DBSS_Gohan View Post
    Does that mean theres a bad solenoid? So now basicly, the bikes got power, but if you press the start button, it goes dead. I tried jumping the solenoid, but that didn't work. just a lot of sparks. Any ideas?

--John
    soundoes sound like a bad solenoid

i would check to see if the power gets to the solenoid (take the wire off it) when you press the start button
    hope it does, means you havent fried anything else

check the ignition fuse - it should have gone dead

i think you can test if the starter is ok by temporarily running a direct line from the battery (using a thick and fused wire)
    GS850GT

Comment

oh, yes, forgot to say, welcome to the gsr :-D
      GS850GT

Comment

ty, and I got it back together now, New solenoid on, It will turn over and crank now, but this one problem.... it won't fire now. Won't start. I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong. I've got spark and fuel... I didn't attach the 2 extra drains from the fuel tank yet, but I figured they arnt important concidering I just want to see how it runs right now. Either way, it's not firing, I'm fairly certain it's getting fuel, I know it's getting spark.... and it's turning over. Any ideas what could be wrong?
        ty

--John

Comment

Originally posted by DBSS_Gohan View Post
          tyI didn't attach the 2 extra drains from the fuel tank yet,
          not sure what you re talking about here - the fuel tap vacuum hose has to be attached to get fuel, or if using the tap on "prime" the vacuum port has to be sealed off
          you can take the sparkplugs out after cranking to see if they are wet (sign of getting the fuel in), you would also smell some unburnt petrol from the exhaust
          another prob may be having too old fuel
          GS850GT

Comment

Check ignition fuse. First things first. Look carefully or replace

Comment

Originally posted by thewiz View Post
              Check ignition fuse. First things first. Look carefully or replace
              he says he gets spark
              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
              X