Binding brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding brakes

For a while now I've noticed that after a run the rear brake disk is hot, not quite hot enough to burn you, but hot enough. I stripped the caliper today, cleaned every thing up (there was some slight corrosion around the inboard piston)and put it all back together, no new parts, just cleaned everything thoroughly and bled it through. Thought that was the end of it. Took it out for a spin and to my dismay the problem remains. The disk doesn't appear to be warped, the pads have 5mm left on them. I haven't touched the master cylinder. Any ideas?

If the corosion on the rear wasn't too bad, and your sure you got it working correctly, I would take a hard look at the master cylinder assy. I take it (hope) that when you re-bled the brakes that you completely changed out the fluid, rather than just a small top-up from what was removed in the caliper......If not, rebleed and change out ALL the fliud, use a whole bottle of brake fluid (the quart bottles or larger) and try and se if that clears it up. :twisted:

Comment

Thanks. I changed all the fluid alright. I'll see if I can pick up a seal kit for the master cylinder before I strip it. Don't wanna be left with no back brake.

Comment

caliper rebuild

I'd say start with a caliper rebuild. Just got done doing this on my Honda. Not too hard, really. Replace the rubber rings and clean everything with a dental pick under where the new rings fit. If that doesn't do it, clean and/or rebuild the MC. I'd bet it's the calipers, though.

Comment

Rear Brake Lock-up

I was going to start a new topic but will add to yours instead. Has anyone had a rear brake lock-up unexpectedly? If so, what did you determine was the cause?
          I'm asking because my rear wheel locked up last Fri. PM while doing about 60. Fortunately, it was on a straight piece of hi-way. I had not touched the rear brake lever for at least 3 miles prior to this. It locked up w/o any kind of advance notice. Unfortunately, I was unable to keep the bike skidding in a straight line for long and went down. I'm scheduled for surgery tomorrow to repair the damage to my ankle.
          I looked at the bike this afternoon in an effort to figure out just what the H happened. The only clue I have at this point is that part of the disc is blue from excessive heat. It wasn't like that when I replaced the line with an SS hose 50 miles prior. I also flushed out the system and replaced the fluid with DOT5 silicone.
          Any coments (and prayers) would be appreciated.
          Thanks!!

Comment

Al, sorry to hear about your accident. You will be in my prayers. I had to have surgery on my right ankle about 15 yrs ago from laying a bike down and it still hurts in cold damp weather. I'm wondering if the silicone brake fluid might have had something to do with it?

Comment

Al, sorry to hear about your accident. You will be in my prayers. I had to have surgery on my right ankle about 15 yrs ago from laying a bike down and it still hurts in cold damp weather. I'm wondering if the silicone brake fluid might have had something to do with it?

Comment

the change of fluid may not have entirely flushed the system, and a piece of whatever blocked the return hole in the master cylinder, thereby jamming the brakes on.
                Dink

Comment

Working...
                X