GS450 not starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 not starting

got my carbs back the other day, and got them put on the other night. Put a battery back into the bike, and noticed there wasnt much in the way of wiring for the battery, only a battery to engine ground. So I added a wire from the battery to starter relay, and tried to start it up..... nothing. Out of desperation, I grabbed a screwdriver and tried shorting out the 2 large contacts on the starer solenoid. Got a bigazz spark, a little click, and then nothing.

Anyone got any ideas? oh yeah, it's an 82 GS450, dont know much about it beyond that

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. tiggerzer0,

Let's hope that all you did was blow a fuse. I think there's only one fuse on your bike. Check and replace if necessary. Then I would suggest that you get a manual for your bike. It's usually best not to guess about things like electrical wiring. I would start by testing your start button itself. It may be faulty. Are you sure the wire you installed belongs there?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The positive line from the battery has two leads coming off of it. The thinner one goes to the silenoid. PM me if you want me to take a pic of the wiring on my bike.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

and if I didnt just blow a fuse? 0.o

I'm gonna try and bypass everything this weekend, and put power to the starter and see if the starter works. BTW, how exactly do the kill switch and the starter buttons work?

ooh, and even better, does anyone have a GS450 manual in pdf form? 0.o

Comment

Here's the pic. My camera isn't working too well so I don't think it turned out too good.

Anyhow, there are 3 wires to the silenoid. The black goes to the top terminal. Below that is a wire that is soldered to the silenoid. Next to that is the hot wire. It runs from the battery to the terminal then leaves the terninal as a thinner red wire going to the main fuse.

A common problem area that I have found is the clutch safety switch. That, along with dirty contacts on the starter button have been the cause of most of my starting problems.

What area are you from? There may be a local GSer that can help you in person.

1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

Originally posted by triggerzer0 View Post
            Clymer GS450 Manual
            Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2008, 03:26 AM.

Comment

thanks for the link! I'll most deffeniatly have to pick one of those up.

and as for area, I live in the ballpark of McKinney, Tx.

And sorry snark, that picture isnt much help, it's too tiny to even be able to see anything

Comment

Originally posted by triggerzer0 View Post
                and if I didnt just blow a fuse? 0.o

I'm gonna try and bypass everything this weekend, and put power to the starter and see if the starter works. BTW, how exactly do the kill switch and the starter buttons work?

I started my wife's bike that way for a little while until I fixed the corrosion on the starter button contacts. It makes big sparks, I was always cringing when I did it.

Comment

I messed around with it some more today, still couldnt get it to start.

I'm giving up for now until my manual shows up.

Comment

the wiring diagram for gs450

hi:I´m Carlos, I´m from Argentina, My bike is a GS450 E ´81.
                    I spiking a bit English. Amigo: te envío el diagrama de cables.
                    Verifica el starter disconect switch, que se encuentra en el lado
                    izquierdo de manubrio y que es movido por la leva del embrague (clutch).
                    BUENA SUERTE... HASTA LA VISTA BABY..!
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2008, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Muchos gracias, Carlos!

Comment

ok good luck

Ok, Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X