Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb Kit Jetting 83GS1100E HHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Kit Jetting 83GS1100E HHHHHEEEEELLLLPPPP!!!!!!

Hi guys. Here goes, I got a set of carbs for my 1100 off of e-bay. They have got a stage three kit in them and have K+N oval pod filters on them. I have a flat spot while cruising right between 1000 and 2000 rpm. I'm installing a stage three kit in my brothers bike and I compared my carbs to K+N's instructions. They where right on the money except they had #170 pilot jets in them. K+N suggest using stock pilot jets unless you have a problem with your bike starting without the choke. K+N includes a set of #160 pilot jets in the kit. The other set of carbs I had a set of #160 jets in them so I installed these #160 pilot jets. The bike had better throttle response on the bottom while not losing any top end, but I still have the kind of dead spot right of idle to 3000rpm. The clips are in the right spot on the needles and the slides are drilled in the right spot. My air enrichment screw is setting at 3 turns out right now. The bike runs good setting there idling, takes the gas great, but when you get on it to ride it you have that flat spot down low. I've had the carbs on and off seems like twenty times now they are really clean, do you guys have any ideas? I'm really getting frustrated!!

You are actually talking about mains, not pilot jets. Pilot jets are typically #37-#45 in size and are mounted at the mouth of the carb. Your problem is most likely the result of the idle screws being too far out. 3 turns pretty much puts you off the jet. 1/2 to 1 1/4 turns is generally about where they belong. If you have to go any further than that they need cleaning. If you are cruising between 1000-2000 rpm you aren't going to get any response from the throttle anyway.

Comment

Ok Billy it is the pilot jets I'm talking about. That flat spot is just somthing to annoy me really bad. The spot is between 1000 and 3000rpm. I pulled the overflow hoses off this helped some what. Could this be the level of the floats causing this?

Comment

Ok I set the floats as per the factory manual. Then I sync'ed them using a set of vacum gauges. I had them all reading the same all the way across. Guess what it runs worse than before. It still has a great top end but down low the thing barely will take the gas, until I put the choke on then it comes to life.Heeellllllppp!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X