Time-sert on exhaust thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time-sert on exhaust thread

I am very close to actually starting my bike but have an obstacle in my way(suprise right?). The owner before me put a bolt coming out of each of the two exhaust threads from the head. A bolt from each thread on one exhaust flange. Well I did the whole top-end and when I got my new V&H exhaust and went to test the allen bolts in the head, 2 threads on one exhaust hole are wider than the other threads for the bolts and don't want to spend $80+ dollars for a time-sert kit. Is this the only way or is there another way. Thanks..

Find the size and pitch of your new bolts and get a heli-coil. Screw in the tap and then the coil. Done.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

What is a Time-sert? I've heard of and installed both heli-coils and Keen-serts (the steel insert with 4 steel pins driven into the base material), but Time-sert?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
        What is a Time-sert? I've heard of and installed both heli-coils and Keen-serts (the steel insert with 4 steel pins driven into the base material), but Time-sert?
        Instead of a coil like a heli-coil it is a solid piece that screws into the tapped threads. Looks like a hollow bolt without a head.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Personally, for spark plug holes, ive found the Time serts to be more functional and a heck of a lot easier to use. I tried a helicoil first, but i just couldnt get it to grab in the head on the car i used it on. Time-sert+plus some high temp heavy duty adheasive and that puppy went right in there first time. Cake. Other bolts or deep ones, i would likely use a helicoil tho.

Comment

So what keeps the Time-sert from backing out when you try to remove the bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
              So what keeps the Time-sert from backing out when you try to remove the bolt?
              heavy duty thread lock fluid eg Loctite
              GS850GT

Comment

according to time sert, the insert also bites in at the end of the threading to lock it in there....
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

If you drive a Ford with 4.6 or 5.4 2 valve motor, a time sert kit can save you thousands of dollars when a sparkplug is blown out of the head.

If it's like my Big Sert kit it counterbores, reams, taps, driver inserts, and cold form the last few threads to lock the insert in place.

Awesome kits
                  1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                  1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                  1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                  1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                  01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

works great on a chevy lumina when it does the same thing :-D

Comment

I just bought a 8mm*1.25 time-sert set for my two exhaust threads. I will hopefully be able to time-sert the threads, put on the exhaust and tank. Then I will be all set to fire it up after many months of doing the top-end, cleaning, replacing, do-over's and cursing my head off. My mechanic was there to guide me, but I did all the work and many long hours myself. Hopefully in the end it will be worth it, plus pics when I'm finished.:-D

Comment

Working...
                      X