3 ohm coils or 5 ohm coils 1979 GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 ohm coils or 5 ohm coils 1979 GS750?

I want to replace the original coils on my 1979 GS 750L. It still has the points, and I may keep it that way for now, and change to a Dyna S ignition down the road. I found Accel Super coils with wires and boots for $132. However they are 3 ohm coils. Will 3 ohm coils work with points, or will it eat the points. If I use 5 ohm coils, will they work with the Dyna S ignition?

I did a search and read a lot of threads, but didn't really find an answer.

Thanks,

Greg

Your bike needs the 5 ohm coils now, but if you are switching to Dyna later, you will need 3 ohm coils.
    Compromise...get the 3 ohm coils and a couple of 2 ohm ballast resistors. When you get the Dyna, ditch the resistors.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

THanks Steve, the ballast resistors crossed my mind.

Besides having to keep the points in good working order, is there a big advantage to using Dyna S ignition, such as hotter spark?

Greg

Comment

Instructions for the Dyna S says it's designed to work with 5 ohm coils, but 3 ohm will work fine as well. The stock coils are actually rated at 4.5 ohms (at least on my '79 550 that is). 3 ohm coils with ballist is a fine way to go, just trying to provide information.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Your bike needs the 5 ohm coils now, but if you are switching to Dyna later, you will need 3 ohm coils.
          Compromise...get the 3 ohm coils and a couple of 2 ohm ballast resistors. When you get the Dyna, ditch the resistors.

Hi Steve. How do you hook up the ballist resistors.
          Regards Don

Comment

Just wire it inline with the Coil.

Comment

Originally posted by n1elkyfan View Post
              Just wire it inline with the Coil.
              Yeah one wire is from kill switch and other from ignition I would think.

Comment

Splice the resister into the hot side of the coil.

Comment

Has anyone mounted the Accel coils on a 750L? I was wondering about fitment and room.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
                    Splice the resister into the hot side of the coil.
                    Yep. I think stock coils have a pos and neg. Dyna do not, can be reversed and doesn't matter. Hot from kill switch (orange and white probably) to resistor, then on to coil. Someone better than me with electrics chime in, but you'd probably want to check your voltage loss to coils before you put the extra resistance in there. Maybe do the coil relay mod while you're at it.

Comment

Has anyone mounted the Accel coils on a 750L? I was wondering about fitment and room.

Greg
                      When I got my bike, it had accel coils. It fit fine on my 750E.

The coils got replaced when I installed my Dyna S to Dyna 3 ohm coils.

Comment

Greg
                        Can't speak for fit on a 750, but my wife's 850L and my son's 850 both came with Accel coils. No problems with room or fit.

Last edited by Steve; 04-11-2008, 10:47 AM.
                        sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks everyone,

I am going to order these coils from Accel. Great price including wires, if you don't mind yellow. A friend of mine put them on his Yamaha, and I think they look great, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Here is the link if anyone is interested in new coils. $132.95 plus S&H $13.95, a little high for S&H.

Greg
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2008, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X