Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bikes dies after few miles at highway speeds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats the thing though, my petcock doesn't release fuel freely on prime. thats why I think somethings up for it and is the root cause of my loss of fuel at highway speeds/ upper rpms.

I went on Z1 enterprises and found a petcock, but it does not come with a tap lever. Any ideas where I get a tap lever to fit this:
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

If you go to Bikebandit.com can you not order an OEM petcock?

Comment

1980 petcock is an oddball. Slot up and down is prime, sideways is on. No reserve. I don't think any other year petcock will fit on your tank, except for an expensive manual petcocks.

Thread about '80 petcock http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=119931

Did you check your tank venting yet by cracking the cap when it starts to die out? And if you have a filter, other than the type with the gold stone inside, ditch it and try again.
        Last edited by Nessism; 04-12-2008, 02:12 AM.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Georgefix sells these petcocks on Ebay at a good price. Been using one for three years now.
          Get a new one and ride.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yup!

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Georgefix sells these petcocks on Ebay at a good price. Been using one for three years now.
            Get a new one and ride.
            That's where I bought mine...HIGHLY recommended!

Comment

sounds like petcock, or more specifically the diaphram in it. it probably has a small leak that is not significant at lower speeds and lower loads on the engine.

Happened to a friend's petcock. prime did not work, and the engine bogged out at highway speeds, gobbling up fuel.
              eventually his pilot circuit plugged on one carb and fuel was coming down the vacume line.

Comment

I like George Fix, as he is the GS brother's friend indeed. He is cheaper,
                faster, better support, and quick shipment turnaround to your door than Bike Bandit, and/or Flat-Out Motorcycles.

I like him and his professional all-around parts services. His replies and
                response time to service your needs are lightning quick. And George is
                also very reasonable, and he is easy to talk to.

:-D\\/

Comment

Already guys, if you guys say go with george fix, i'll give it a shot for the new petcock. any links to his auctions or ebay store?

Comment

alright, I've been really contemplating this...

how bout if I use an adapter plate (50mm right?) with a 3/8 petcock from pingel like this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2718

Then attach a 3/8 outlet petcock like this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1744

I understand it would not be vacuum activated and lack the built in safety mechanism of the vacuum, but I think I can manage shutting it off after each ride.

do you think it would work if I plug the vacuum vent on the carb and go with this setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer Dan View Post
                      alright, I've been really contemplating this...

how bout if I use an adapter plate (50mm right?) with a 3/8 petcock from pingel like this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=2718

Then attach a 3/8 outlet petcock like this: http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1744

I understand it would not be vacuum activated and lack the built in safety mechanism of the vacuum, but I think I can manage shutting it off after each ride.

do you think it would work if I plug the vacuum vent on the carb and go with this setup?
                      If you want to spend the money that's the way to go.
                      Plugging #2 won't hurt anything.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Same issue here

Yeah, I just picked up my first GS850. It is a 79. I had to drive on the highway to get it home. IT seemed to do fine at lower RPM but once I went above 50 MPH it would go for about 5 miles then sputter and die. IT was not a fun drive home. I am just wondering if this could be related?

m0ng00se

Comment

Yup, that sounds about the same symptoms I'm having with my GS550. I went ahead an ordered a manual petcock from Z1 and hope that cures my problems. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I swap out petcocks and test run it.

Comment

Well, my manual petcock and adapter plate came in from Z1 today and I wasted no time ripping the old one off and installing the new one. After I let the gasket dry, I refilled the tank with gas and took her out for a freeway test run for the moment of truth....

low and behold the old horse pulled hard in all 6 gears and held a constant 7K RPM in 6th gear for over 5 miles. I actually had her over 90MPH for the first time!!! Not that I condone this type of riding, but it was 3AM with no traffic on the 210 FWY and it was done in the name of GS Science \\/

So that was it, swapped to a manual petcock, plugged the vacuum from the carbs and thats all she wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer Dan View Post
                              Well, my manual petcock and adapter plate came in from Z1 today and I wasted no time ripping the old one off and installing the new one. After I let the gasket dry, I refilled the tank with gas and took her out for a freeway test run for the moment of truth....

low and behold the old horse pulled hard in all 6 gears and held a constant 7K RPM in 6th gear for over 5 miles. I actually had her over 90MPH for the first time!!! Not that I condone this type of riding, but it was 3AM with no traffic on the 210 FWY and it was done in the name of GS Science \\/

So that was it, swapped to a manual petcock, plugged the vacuum from the carbs and thats all she wrote.
                              I was on the 210 a couple of months ago and was lucky to go 2 MPH. I could of walked to Bakersfield and got there faster.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                                I was on the 210 a couple of months ago and was lucky to go 2 MPH. I could of walked to Bakersfield and got there faster.
                                Definitely familiar with that side of the 210 during rush hour. Luckily I know work 10 miles away, but the 15 fwy is a whole nother monster...

Comment

Working...
                                X