Engine Knock(ping)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Knock(ping)

I have a 1982 GS1100G with 9700 miles on it. It runs great but after riding 5-10 miles and it's good and warmed up I get the ole engine ping when accelerating moderately hard. I've tried higher octane but that doesn't help. It has new plugs and electronic timing so I'm not sure where else to look. Will out of tolerance valves cause this? Hotter plugs? Carb sync? Any suggestions would be more than greatly appreciated.

Either too lean of jetting or too advanced ignition timing.

Comment

I am having the same probs with mine, I have tried several things but was told on my last post (see "carb screws' ) that the timing, though electronic is somewaht adjustable and that it may be too far advanced. i am going to pull the cover off and see if I can move the whole hall trigger foward even just alittle, and maybe that will help. Otherwise, out of tolerance valves, if some are slightly sticking open (tight) can cause it, I had mine adjusted a month ago, but no change in mine. I went to a b9es (NGK) and helped alittle, but still there. What colour are your plugs looking like? :twisted:

Comment

Same problem with my 82 1100 GK. It's not the valves (I just adjusted them and it didn't help). I checked the timing and it was spot on (and didn't appear to be adjustable). My guess is these bikes were set to run real lean from the factory to meet emissions and now the gas is worse and that increases the pinging. If anyone has a good idea on how to retard the timing lets hear it

Comment

user 'DAVEO' posted in 'carb screws' that you can loosen and rotate the trigger mechanism in the direction of rotaion a small bit to retard timing. I guess we could all try it... :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lich
            Same problem with my 82 1100 GK. It's not the valves (I just adjusted them and it didn't help). I checked the timing and it was spot on (and didn't appear to be adjustable). My guess is these bikes were set to run real lean from the factory to meet emissions and now the gas is worse and that increases the pinging. If anyone has a good idea on how to retard the timing lets hear it
            You can change over to a dyna "s' ignition. They are not that expensive (under $150) I think and your timing will be fully adjustible. and you can time each coil seperatly (1&4 and 2&3) the installation is easy

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I'll pull the timing cover and see what gives. As for the plug color, they all seem to be light grey(ashen).

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
                user 'DAVEO' posted in 'carb screws' that you can loosen and rotate the trigger mechanism in the direction of rotaion a small bit to retard timing. I guess we could all try it... :twisted:
                just make sure to move the whole plate(3 screws) the triggers are mounted on, as each trigger is individually adjustable for air gap also, if memory serves...

Comment

Working...
                X