Cheng Shin's and Perilli's My .02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheng Shin's and Perilli's My .02

Just thought I'd add my .02 about Cheng Shin's and Pirelli's. Bought a pair of Hi-Max's last July/August, 3500 or 4000 miles ago. Mounted and balanced them myself. They replaced a pair of Marquis that had tubes even though the wheels are marked tubeless. I didn't put tubes back in. These always felt good, not great, but good. Seemed OK in the rain, but didn't have my total trust. Always kind of felt on the "edge" in the wet. In the cold, 15 or 20 f, they felt kind of lumpy. So, after 4K the rear was down to the wear bar and the front was starting to stress crack between the tread blocks. I wonder if the stress cracks were the result of cold weather riding. Always ran 32 in the rear and 30 in the front. For the money I liked these tires enough to put them on my wife's 250 Rebel and son's 1978 CB750. Neither of them do the amount of highway or twisties that I do.
    The Cheng Shin's were replace with a pair of Pirelli Demons just 200 miles ago. For twice the money. While it's still early days, there's no comparison between them. The Pirelli's have felt great from the get go. I've already leaned them over pretty good, after 100 mile brake in, and they feel great. I'll try and post an update after a 1000 miles or so and a ride or 2 in the rain.
    Bottom line, I think I got twice the tire for twice the money.

Thanks,

I want a Vance and Hines 4 to 1 really bad, but the Pirellis may have to get bumped up in line above it.

Comment

Running Pirellis on my CB1100F and Hi-Max's on my GS1000S. I've never tested them in the wet (rain isn't for me) but you're right - the Pirellis are better and give me more confidence. Hi-Max's are, however, excellent value for money and I don't need knee sliders whichever bike I ride now.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Quality tyres that allow you to enjoy the ride is an equal first with keeping the bike in one piece IMHO. Even at double the price the Pirelli's are still cheaper than repairing/replacing parts after throwing the bike up the road, if your still able to ride.
        Badgezz, we don need noh stinkin' badgezz!
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

I thinks its a question of matching the tire to the type of riding intended.
          I have a set of Hi Max on my 450 which is never going to be used for aggressive corner carving. On the other hand, the Bandit 12 has Continental Road Attacks on it which will hold a line with an absurd lean angle and power setting.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

In the cold, 15 or 20 f, they felt kind of lumpy
            Greg, are you telling me you ride when it is 15-20 degrees F outside? I don't think I could even get my GS started at those temps, not that I would want to ride anyway. You are a brave man.\\/

The other Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg O. View Post
              Greg, are you telling me you ride when it is 15-20 degrees F outside? I don't think I could even get my GS started at those temps, not that I would want to ride anyway. You are a brave man.\\/

The other Greg
              I did YEARS ago in college when bike was all I had. No way in hell I'd do it now. My cutoff is about 45 F

Comment

Same with me

I had only a bike my sophomore and junior years, don't know how I avoided frostbite, had pneumonia TWICE one winter, came out of school a couple of times to snow and rode home with my feet down like outriggers, and this on a Yamaha XS 650. Yes, we WERE nuts!
                1979 GS 1000

Comment

Originally posted by jknappsax View Post
                  I had only a bike my sophomore and junior years, don't know how I avoided frostbite, had pneumonia TWICE one winter, came out of school a couple of times to snow and rode home with my feet down like outriggers, and this on a Yamaha XS 650. Yes, we WERE nuts!
                  Remember pulling over once and warming my thickly gloved hands with the heat off the engine because they were too frozen to work the controls. Now, if leather over a hoodie and gloves doesn't do it, it's in the shed.

Comment

Got 2 rules for leaving in the AM. One, 20 or above. Two, nothing falling from the sky. Did have to modify that a bit when there was snow on the street and it was above 20:shock:. I do have a full fairing, decent gloves, and chaps.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                    X