bike wont start just cranks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike wont start just cranks

ok so yeah its not my gs but need help with it all the same i have a kaw 440ltd 1981 that i just got done dipping carbs putting all back together new plugs new gas and all it does is crank when i bought it from my buddy and ran it home from the shop it started right up after a day wouldn't start so i figured bad gas since it sat in the shop for a year which led to dip the carbs and put fresh gas in it. then i figured i would also put fresh plugs in it and still wont fire up any suggestions?

OK, you "dipped" the carbs. Please elaborate.

When done properly, especially for carbs that have been sitting for a while, like yours, that "dip" should last about 24 hours. :shock:

I know the can says "15-30 minutes" or something like that, and that's what I tried on my first set of carbs. No improvement. Dipped them again, for about 2 hours each. Still no improvement. Dipped them a third time, this time overnight for each one. Have not had a bit of problem for the last 3 years.

Now for another classic problem concerning cold starts (or the lack thereof)...valve adjustment.
    I don't think the 440 had hydraulic adjusters, so check the valve clearance. If it is a typical Kaw, clearance should be 0.006-0.010" on the intakes, 0.010-0.014" on the exhausts. Tight clearances, especially on the intakes, makes the bike very hard to start when cold.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

vacuum petcock?
      set on prime to fill the carb bowls up?
      GS850GT

Comment

ok sorry guys kind of jumped the gun on this post. yes dipped over night yes vacuum and has fuel in bowls after further checking out no spark on either plugs so i am to the process of checking coils, wires, and caps next. hopefully it is just the caps

Comment

While you're dicking with your coils, might as well do the coil relay mod and get a full 12 volts. Doesn't take long... unless you're me.

Comment

I am in the same boat. I have tried everything. We must have those GS Gremlins everyone's talking about. Lets swap stories and see if we can get these girls started.

Cory

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
              no spark on either plugs so i am to the process of checking coils, wires, and caps next. hopefully it is just the caps
              you do know that the sparkplugs themselves can go bad for no apparent reason (even when new)? :shock:
              just something to keep in mind along your other checks
              GS850GT

Comment

ty psy yeah i have like 3 sets of plugs that i can try out bout to go check it out after i eat

Comment

well thinking the coil or ignitor is bad so i am going back to working on the 550 get the carbs dipped and put it all back together while i save up some money to buy coil and wires and caps if that doesn't work hopefully it does but then i am limited down to the ignitor which would suck cost 500 bucks new wonder if i can find some stuff on fleabay

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
                    well thinking the coil or ignitor is bad so i am going back to working on the 550 get the carbs dipped and put it all back together while i save up some money to buy coil and wires and caps if that doesn't work hopefully it does but then i am limited down to the ignitor which would suck cost 500 bucks new wonder if i can find some stuff on fleabay
                    not sure how old all of the above is on your bike, but i would reverse the order - new plug caps first - take 1/2 inch off of the wires and stick them on - does wonders if the caps have never been replaced

id also check that the coils are actually getting any power before replacing anything else

coils you can swap between bikes (me thinks) to confirm the problem first
                    GS850GT

Comment

No one has ever actually purchased a Suzuki ignitor -- a Dyna electronic ignition is only about $130.

That's your worst case -- the problem is probably something else.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

ok so can i get a dyna ignitor for the kaw if that is my prob?

Comment

well to keep u guys up to date on the kaw i found an igniter coil and wires for 17 bucks on fleabay that includes shipping. the guy says the bike had spark when he took the head off and found out that the pistons were fried so hopefully he is telling the truth will be shipped out tomorrow and hopefully will be on my bike by friday. i am hoping this will work as my voltage meter wasn't picking up anything last night on the coils. well with this stuff i am just replacing everything.so wish me luck i will keep ya guys posted and tuesday i don't have to work so the carbs to the 550 are going back in the dip again. i will keep u guys posted on how that bike turns out too since i still have not had that beast running right in the last year that i have had it. hopefully this year i will get it on the road running properly

Comment

Working...
                          X