Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS450 - No spark on Right cyl only

Eg 'foot brake side'...

Took my bike out after having it in storage for a while...

Got it running, but (After cleaning the carbs out & re-attaching) noticed that I had no spark on the right side...

Swapped plugs - both plugs spark on the left side, neither spark on the right...

Any suggestions?

Three posibilities to start with...

1. Bad spark plug boot.
    2. Bad coil
    3. Bad igniter.

Swap the coils (you may have to splice the wires if the plugs are different. I can't remeber if the side matters). If the coil fires when it is swapped you have a bad coil. If you still don't have a bad spark the ignighter is probably bad.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

try swapping your coils left to right and see if the problem follows, also check your spark plug boots as they can cause problems. Worst case scenario it is your igniter or pickup

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolorange View Post
        try swapping your coils left to right and see if the problem follows, also check your spark plug boots as they can cause problems. Worst case scenario it is your igniter or pickup
        Checked the boot - both by cutting the wire and re-inserting it, and by trying to run the plug straight off the wire...

No spark...

I am thinking either coil or coil wiring...

P.S. The bike was dropped loading it onto a truck for moving, that was the last time it ran... No visible damage, and it was stored in the truck/in a garage afterwards...

Comment

Further...

Did further testing today...

No spark using right-side coil wiring with nails in the pin-holes...

Also noticed a rather burnt/bad-smelling brown goo coming out of the right side coil at both ends, near the metal part that they bolt to the frame with...

I assume bad coils...

If a coil goes, does it usually fry the entire side of the ignition system, or should I get spark back when I replace it?

Also, will OE 850 coils work, if I just don't plug in the 2 extra plug wires?

Comment

You should be ok with a new coil on there

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A View Post
              Did further testing today...

No spark using right-side coil wiring with nails in the pin-holes...

Also noticed a rather burnt/bad-smelling brown goo coming out of the right side coil at both ends, near the metal part that they bolt to the frame with...

I assume bad coils...

If a coil goes, does it usually fry the entire side of the ignition system, or should I get spark back when I replace it?

Also, will OE 850 coils work, if I just don't plug in the 2 extra plug wires?
              That can't be good ...... :-D

Comment

Working...
              X