Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another thing to learn about: timing

well, it went like this.

cold #3 pipe. after carb rebuild, airbox sealing, petcock good, valve adjust, etc. etc.

relay mod to improve spark. new wires with newer caps.

still cold #3. so, gotta pull those carbs. before that though, why not pull off the valve cover, just to reconfirm the clearances.

oh, hey, as long as i'm in there, why not check the # of links between cam teeth....so i take off the idler, and proceed to skip a tooth on the chain/sprockets. so,

now i have to reset the timing. do i have to pull the camshafts to do this, or can i do it with them bolted in? i can pull them, but i would really rather not, as this increases the chances of stripping a bolt hole.

i gotta go to work, but if you guys know of any links to help, or any advice on doing this, i would appreciate it.

i have got to learn to leave well enough alone.

thanks,

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

no responses yet? i was only kidding about the harley comment the other day, guys, really.....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

If there was enough slack in the cam chain to let it skip a tooth with the tensioner off, you ought to be able to skip one back in the direction you need to go.

I've managed to do it without pulling the cams, but it wasn't on a GS so no guarantees.

Comment

Hi Greg. What I don't have is GS750 engine info for you. There's a pretty good description of what to do in the Clymers manual for my GS1000 and would recommend at the least getting a manual to help with your mechanical timing procedure. I'll just offer up that, faced with just 1 cold cylinder.....First I'd want to see if the cylinder was contributing by removing that plug with the engine running (noticeable miss occurs). If no contribution (and one reason for a cold cylinder), verify ignition at that plug (plug fouled, wire or cap......won't always cause a miss on the paired cylinder because of capacitive coupling)......if ok then I'd check compression in that cylinder....this will give you a lot quicker (and less destructive) means of determining how good a pump that one hole is.

At this point, IF spark, IF compression, IF the remainder are contributing (good mechanical timing), look at that carb. Hope this helps with some strategy

Comment

yeah, i am too impatient sometimes to write everything down.....

carb rebuild and clean, new orings
          compression 135-140 across the board

spark=yes. new wires, coil relay mod, new plugs gapped correctly.
          timing....well, clearly off now. but gonna fix that tonight.

so, i guess i disassemble the carbs again. 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

depressing. this motorcycle is a veritable rollercoaster of an emotional journey....sniff sniff.

im gonna go sulk now.

thanks guys.
          1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
          X