Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Basket Expert Needed

Hi,

I am rebuilding my bike, a 1979 GS1000E. In that process, I am also breaking down 2 parts bikes to get the best parts on my bike.

I came across this unusual clutch basket off of a 1979 GS1000 L (chain). It has green springs and weld marks.

Do I have anything special or am I just having delusions of grandure?

L model is on the left, E model on the right in both pictures.

It looks like it was rebuilt, thats a good thing

Comment

See APE site for the Gorilla

Note: I'm not sure that the GS1000 and GS1100/GS1150 are completely compatiable but your mod looks similar. to:

APE "GORILLA" CLUTCH HUB ASSEMBLIES

The strongest modified clutch hub assemblies available. Consisting of our heavy duty clutch hub kits installed on customer supplied clutch hub. We must have a good clutch basket / gear assembly from the customer.
      GHS1100Suzuki GS1100/GS1150$299.00

You have the equivalent of this $300 upgrade (with exchange). I was lucky and found my GS1100ED had the same upgrade. Rapid Ray also suggests you also use the APE clutch nut

SUZUKI HEAVY DUTY CLUTCH HUB NUTCLUTCH HUB NUT
      The factory Suzuki hub nuts are soft, allowing the threads to deform and come loose. This allows the hub assembly to wobble. The APE nuts are CNC machined from heat treated chrome moly steel. End of problem.
      SHN1150 Suzuki GS1100 / GS1150 $24.95

.http://gszone.biz/

Stick with stock fibers though, the the thin ones that provide extra grip cause more damage to the hub and basket (due to thinness).

FYI a related recent thread.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=122886

Good Luck.

Posplayr
      Last edited by posplayr; 04-12-2008, 04:48 PM.

Comment

my clutch looks like that. bought uprated damper springs and h/d rivets. had the local engineering shop fit them and tig weld the basket rivets. basket is now solid and perfect
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Awesome! You guys rock, That really makes my day...\\/

Comment

That is not on of ours mentioned above. Ours has a heavy duty backing plate on it.

The one you have looks like an old Vance and Hines "modified hub".

Jay
            Speed Merchant
            http://www.gszone.biz

Comment

Yup. Looks similar to my hub, modified by V&H. No more clutch basket rattle.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
              X