Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork oil

search, but no answers.

im putting some fork oil in my 850. forks off, springs out, forks compressed, bel ray 15w oil. i put in not even 250ml like it calls for(i know the amount is what you need, im getting there) and the oil comes out the air hole. its not 140mm from the top either. do i plug the hole and continue?

Catbed,

I believe the measurement is done with the forks extended and springs out. Put some oil in then SLOWLY pump the forks to push the oil throughout the forks. I'm not sure about the 850 but on my '83 1100E the level is exactly at the air holes.

Thanks,
    Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Nope, the measurement is taken with the forks in the bike, springs OUT and forks COMPRESSED all the way.

It would be simplest to just re-install the forks in the bike so that the air fitting stuff covers the air hole.

In case people with other years of GS models are wondering WTF we're talking about, the '83 models had a bracket with fittings and an air crossover tube just above the lower triple clamp so that air pressure would be the same in both fork legs. There's a tiny hole for air in each fork, and there are o-rings just above and below to seal everything.

You don't need air pressure with new springs, of course, but you still have to seal these or oil and air squirt out.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

84 air fork same, but manual says nothing about whether or not springs are in or out (really doesn't matter) or forks are on or off the bike. fork should be extended though. just extend the fork and put in the prescribed volume
        GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

I'm with Brian, pull springs out, compress forks all the way and measure the height of the oil from the top. There is always oil remainging in the forks, even after draining, so measuring the volume is the best way.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have an '83 GS850GD, just like CB's.

You measure fork oil with the springs OUT and the fork COMPRESSED all the way. I usually leave them on the bike -- triple clamps make fantastic fork tube holders. It's like they're made to hold forks...

You dump in some fork oil (more than you need), pump the forks a bit to remove air bubbles, then slurp out the fork oil with a marked syringe and tube until it's 140mm from the top.

The most important thing is that the level is the same on both sides. The next most important thing is that the level is 140mm from the top of the fork tube. The actual amount of oil it takes to achieve these specs is irrelevant.

Next, pull the front end up from the fully compressed "kneeling" position, put a couple of jack stands under the frame. Chuck in the springs, put the washer on top, and add preload spacers to taste.

Trust me.

Really.

I'm not kidding. I've done this many times. Springs OUT, front end DOWN. At least on a GS850.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

i plugged the holes with tape. not plugged them but blocked them. basically the same as having them in the triple clamp. measured it all up and put em back in. it actually looks like a motorcycle now.\\/

Comment

Working...
              X