Honda Goldwing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Goldwing question

I posted this question in Steve Saunders Goldwing forums, and not much response. I have ALWAYS gotten the correct information here (be proud of yourselves GSers).

Here goes .... some of you may know that I am getting a Goldwing. Its a 1980 GL 1100, the first year Honda came out with a fully dressed touring bike. It is missing the carburetors and the exhaust (and maybe a few other things).

I am needing to know what exhaust is compatible with that model, for example, will some Harley sportster exhausts fit, if so which ones? Will the 80,81,82,83 GL 1200 fit?

Also, which carburetors will be compatible? Should I just buy OEM?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You have 2 choices here, in my opinion. You can start watching Ebay & take your chances on what you will get, or you can start calling salvage yards & take your chances on what you get. I do both & have been fortunate both ways. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

I can't even imagine trying to get something other than a set of stock carbs to fit and work on a Goldwing. Sorry but can't offer any advice regarding which years carbs would fit. Exhaust is the same though you could graft on some non stock mufflers if you had some stock head pipes.

Good luck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        I can't even imagine trying to get something other than a set of stock carbs to fit and work on a Goldwing. Sorry but can't offer any advice regarding which years carbs would fit. Exhaust is the same though you could graft on some non stock mufflers if you had some stock head pipes.

Good luck.

I see a lot of affordable headers on ebay. Just wondering if a GL 1200 would fit.

I kind of like the fish tail extended slip ons

Comment

When you say "exhaust" are you includin the header pipes or just the muffler? If just the muffler, then just about anything can be welded on there. If you want a complete system, JC Whitney has a complete Jardine system for $600. That is from the cylinder head to the turned-down muffler tips.

Carbs? There used to be a company that offered a manifold and a single Holley carb, but those are scarcer than hen's teeth. Keep looking on eBay and you will find them.

Compatability between years? Not sure about that, I think you pretty much have to keep to the same size engine, so you will be looking for '80-'83 1100 stuff.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This guy pretty much specializes in Wing stuff. He tends to be a little on the high side, but...
            Depending on what you need/want--
            Exhaust-

For carbs, no completes listed, but send him an email, he may have or can get something used. http://crescentmooncycles.com/html/fuel_system1.html

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post
              This guy pretty much specializes in Wing stuff. He tends to be a little on the high side, but...
              Depending on what you need/want--
              Exhaust-

For carbs, no completes listed, but send him an email, he may have or can get something used. http://crescentmooncycles.com/html/fuel_system1.html

That is kind of high. I went to a dealership looking for them and the quote I got was $479.00

I looked on ebay and saw some for $399.00

I guess patience is a virtue.

Comment

Gold Wing Advice

Please try the Gold Wing website at gwrra.org It is much like this gs site, except for Gold Wings. I used to use it a lot when I had a '79 Gold Wing. Click on Message Boards, and then they have a Technical Section and also a Classic Section for the older Wings. I do remember that there were single and dual carb set-ups available from aftermarket companies. Most likely, older original exhausts may require some welding because of rusting through. You may be advised to try to get a parts bike because of the number of parts you are missing. There may be some compatable parts between the 1100 and 1200, but the guys on the gwrra site will be able to help you.

Comment

Another Option

This is another Goldwing site I ran across. I actually purchased the grips he sells and like them. There are a lot of links and info.

Last edited by twr1776; 04-13-2008, 09:17 AM. Reason: Add link DOH
                  82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" :eek: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome" ;)

Comment

Originally posted by fnickel View Post
                    Please try the Gold Wing website at gwrra.org It is much like this gs site, except for Gold Wings. .
                    Be advised that you will be able to read the messages, but will not be able to respond to them unless you are a paid-up card-carrying member. (Yes, it costs serious money to be a member of GWRRA.) I don't know if you will be able to look into member's profiles to get their e-mail addresses for contact, so if you find something that you would like, toss me a message and I will contact them, as I am a member of GWRRA. 8-[

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Be advised that you will be able to read the messages, but will not be able to respond to them unless you are a paid-up card-carrying member. (Yes, it costs serious money to be a member of GWRRA.) I don't know if you will be able to look into member's profiles to get their e-mail addresses for contact, so if you find something that you would like, toss me a message and I will contact them, as I am a member of GWRRA. 8-[

Thanks Steve :-D

Comment

I now have the Goldwing in my possession. Its in poor shape, but the important things are in good shape.

I am going to need gauges, faring covers, etc. etc. (a cable here, there).

Most importantly of all, I am going to need carbs and exhaust. I came to discover this is a 1981 - I have no clue as to 1100 or 1200 (yet).

Will this exhaust fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Schweisshund View Post
                          I came to discover this is a 1981 - I have no clue as to 1100 or 1200 (yet).

Will this exhaust fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Goldw...QQcmdZViewItem
                          If it's an '81, it's an 1100.

No, that exhaust will likely not fit.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Here is a brief album of the bike:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Schweisshund,

You definitely have a project on your hands there. If you would simply like a running Wing, I just learned that a friend of mine is going to be selling his '84(?) 1200 before long. It is a definite runner and has more lights than the average Christmas tree, but it's definitely not a project bike.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X