Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float height question

hi guys,

when measuring float height with the "carbs off upside down method", the floats seem to "preload" the needle valve spring, this is the height i measure, correct? thanks!!

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

The floats should be touching the springs, but the springs should be stiff enough to not sag a measureable amount. If the springs do get compressed, tilt the carbs up at an angle so the weight of the float does not compress the spring and measure again.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

...and replace those crappy aftermarket needles with OEM parts ASAP.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

My OE needles sag a little on my VM carb 550. Tips look go so they stayed in. No problems so far...
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

MIne, as well!

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          hi guys,

when measuring float height with the "carbs off upside down method", the floats seem to "preload" the needle valve spring, this is the height i measure, correct? thanks!!

greg
          I posted about 10 days ago regarding the exact same thing. I've never noticed it with OEM needle valves but it was very apparent with the after-market ones that came on my GS1100.

Brian instructed me to order OEM needle valves....and I did!:-D (I wish the damn things weren't so expensive!!)
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

well, i doubt they are aftermarket, i didnt put them in and i really doubt the po did. but where did you get the oem ones? not at bike bandit....and how expensive we talkin here? i mean, cheaper than a new motorcycle (i suppose) but....
            1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

needle valves

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
              well, i doubt they are aftermarket, i didnt put them in and i really doubt the po did. but where did you get the oem ones? not at bike bandit....and how expensive we talkin here? i mean, cheaper than a new motorcycle (i suppose) but....
              I just took a quick look but I think the OEM number is 13370-18111. If you shop around, you can find 4 of them for about $100. It's about the most expensive carb part you'll likely ever buy but it is important and will likely not wear out if you care for the carbs properly.

I don't know why they don't show up on Bike Bandit but their schematics are terrible and you can find better prices.
              Last edited by chuckycheese; 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
              X