fork compression tool necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork compression tool necessary?

I am the proud owner of an "almost new" 1979 GS 850. Bike needs new tires and in readig the owner's manual about changing the rear tire, it says that I have to use the fork compression tool to compress the front forks so that the rear wheel will clear the fender. Unfortunately, the tool kit is among the missing. Any ideas how to do this?
    PS I have really enjoyed reading all the posts here - even before I bought my bike.

Try a racheting tie down strap wrapped around the bottom of the triple clamp and the rim.

Comment

Put a 2x4 under the centerstand.

bill

Comment

Go Bill! That's what I would have done. Why does the factory make simple things so difficult? Is it because they couldn't find a convenient place on the bike to stow a two by four?

Hey talking about factory tools, has anyone ever seen the GS air fork inflating device thingy? I saw a picture of one in my friends owner's manual (I didn't get a manual when I bought the bike, the owner "lost" it) and supposedly it was meant to come with the bike when purchased new from a dealer? I'd like to procure one for my bike, but I doubt if they're still available? :twisted:

Comment

It's a B#### to get it up on the 2x4. I use a floor jack under the engine (makes it easy) to raise the bike high enough to slip a 2x6 under the center stand/ with a metal plate on top, DON'T forget to put a pin into the center stand lock

Comment

I just roll the wheel back and then push the base over to angle the wheel past the rear guard, no 2x4 required.
            Dink

Comment

Us shafties have to raise it higher

Comment

Working...
              X