I'm sick of this bike!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sick of this bike!!

Can anybody tell me if they have actually had these problems, my bike is now doing exactly the same thing it was doing before Ispent all this time and money repairing or replacing everything on it

I think it started for me last night just because it is the devil and wants to break me, but now it is right back to not starting at all, an occassional poot but no fire over, right back to the beginning and I have no clue, I'm very frustrated, if anybody wants to read my posts and come back with any help I'd appreciate it, otherwise does anybody want buy a nonrunning bike for $3000.00 cuz that's what I got into it now!

KV how much fuel is in the tank. When I have problems with my bike I like to have at least 1 gallon of fuel in it. Recently my bike would not start and although I could hear gas sloshing around in the tank it did not have enough to start, added a gallon and it fired up right away.

Comment

the tank is almost full, the last thing I could think of and did'nt know if it was relevant is that the seal at the gas cap is cracked, it is the only thing that is not properly sealed. BTW the rack you sold me cleaned up really nice and looks great on this beautiful stationary bike

Comment

Hi Friend,

We all want to be there to hekp you, and to enjoy your bike for the
        time and expense you invested in. Please reply with more symptoms,
        more specifics, more problems, and how it reacts.

We can't help you without any issues addressed !! We need more
        diagnostics of the root causes and we will gladly address them for
        you.

:-D\\/

Comment

You wanna hold off for a week or so? I am going to be travelling through your area toward the end of the month and can stop by, if you want. 8-[
          sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How about a full summary of everything you have done along with a description of what the problem is (either fuel or spark).

Don't give up.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Honestly dude we have all been there. These are old bikes, they will always need work. Like harleys Try and be specific as to whats going on and we will all try and help. A video on you tube might help too.

Comment

i'm feeling your pain. i am about to give up on mine too. can i get more money by parting it out, do ya think? sad, cause it has run "well" for 4 years, before i started fixing things. oh well.
                1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  How about a full summary of everything you have done along with a description of what the problem is (either fuel or spark).

Don't give up.
                  OK, as I've said in my other posts ever since I bought this bike last year it would not start cold, I could crank it all day, choke, no choke, throttle no throttle, sometimes it would on a hot day, most of the time it would not. I still got 2000 miles on it last year cuz there wer enough warm days to start it and I never sat anywhere long enough to let it get totally cold.

I figured I'd wait until it got cold in the season to start troubleshooting the problem but as I've said before I am not a mechanic, evry bike I've ever owned got gas and Oil and started and I drove them. Ieven worked as the repo man from 95-97 so I repo'd and rode evrything under the sun during those years.
                  Anyway, started asking questions on this site and just started replacing stuff, here's the list...

New ignition coils, wires, caps and plugs
                  New battery
                  Cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease
                  Replaced "burned" connectors to stator, checked stator, seemed OK
                  Replaced Reg/Rec
                  New K&N air filter
                  Rebuilt airbox as described by Bwringer with weatherstripping
                  All newclamps for carbs, intake and airbox side
                  New intake boots and O-rings
                  Took apart and cleaned petcock
                  New fuel line, vacuum line, and breather lines from breather t's in carbs
                  All new orings for carbs
                  rebuilt carbs according to the papers on this site
                  ( this was after I had the local bike shop "rebuild them" who told me they went through them twice and oit was blatantly obvious when I rebuilt them that they were probably never even opened up or someone just pulled the diaphrams and sprayed some carb cleaner in them)

I have adjusted the valve clearances and set the looser rather than tighter as this site has suggested.
                  I have not done a compression test because I do not have the equiptment.

The bike started last night after I set back the idle speed screw to almost not touching at all, and it finally fired!!
                  I let it run until it warmed up and then set the idle to 1000 RPM warm and took it out for a ride in the freezing rain for about five minutes.
                  Brought it home, let it sit overnight, changed the headlight this afternoon and figured it was'nt raining, why not take it for a spin before I change the oil and the nasty thing would not start, I got fuel and I know I'm flooding it because I smell it, it's got spark and correct time because it ran last night. The battery is brand new and is always hardwired on my Tender Junior when it's parked in the garage so I don't know.
                  I'm not doing anything with this bike until I get some idea as to why this is happening, it is beyond my ability at this point and it is very frustrating to do all this work only to be exactly where I started less several hundred dollars in parts and hours and hours of my time freezing my a** off in my garage.

I think the only thing I have'nt replaced or rebuilt is the stator and the motor. This just is'nt fun or funny anymore

Comment

You said you rebuilt the carbs, after you rebuilt them did you balance them and set the mixture screw properly using a color tune or highest rpm method?

When its flooding and not starting did you pull a plug and see if you were getting spark?

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                      You said you rebuilt the carbs, after you rebuilt them did you balance them and set the mixture screw properly using a color tune or highest rpm method?

When its flooding and not starting did you pull a plug and see if you were getting spark?
                      I am getting spark and I don't know what a color tune.
                      My air mixture screws are set at two and a half turns out from hand tight.
                      I did not balance them at all, I was planning on borrowing a friends carb sync guages but the thing will not even start so highest RPM is out of the question.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        You wanna hold off for a week or so? I am going to be travelling through your area toward the end of the month and can stop by, if you want. 8-[
                        I would love for anyone to stop by anytime, I welcome all the help I can get.

Comment

OK. So your plugs are wet so they are getting fuel, you have tested for sparkm and you get some. So perhaps your air isnt right? Turn your mixture screw in then back it out to three full turns on all 4. No matter how sure you are its already out 2.5 just to be safe screw them back in the back out 3 full turns to be sure.

It will be rich of course but if air is your issue it should start. You didnt take your cams out at all did you?

Comment

OK. So your plugs are wet so they are getting fuel, you have tested for sparkm and you get some. So perhaps your air isnt right? Turn your mixture screw in then back it out to three full turns on all 4. No matter how sure you are its already out 2.5 just to be safe screw them back in the back out 3 full turns to be sure.

It will be rich of course but if air is your issue it should start. You didnt take your cams out at all did you?
                            No I did not take the cams out so my timing is not 180 degrees off, is that what you were getting at?

Comment

Just went out ans set the air mix screws in and backed them out to three turns, set the choke to full[-o< and she fired right over!!! Let her warm up, had to reset the idle speed back down to 1000RPM and set the air mix out another half turn to 3 1/2 turns and she seems to run better, won't know for sure until tomorrow but I'll let you know.
                              Can't tell you how many times you guys have kept me from GS suicide. Of course it probably does'nt help that God gave me all my brains to build houses, not bikes, but I'm hoping there's a noodle or two left to learn more about these bikes.

Comment

Working...
                              X