No announcement yet.

I'm sick of this bike!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to say it but the mixture screws are not sensitive to the point that 1/2 turn determines whether or not the bike should start. Most likely the problem will come back...but hears to hoping!!!

Honestly, poor starting is often caused by poor compression. Get your self a tester and do the test with a warm engine and the throttle wide open. Another possibility is the ignitor - poor spark. Is the spark bright or does it look weak? Hope you don't need to go there but something to think about.
    Last edited by Nessism; 04-14-2008, 12:06 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've been there dude. I've been in the same boat as you many times. I even lost my nerve and offered to sell a bike I had $4000 in for $600 all because it would die at highway speeds. ...In the end it was because of a kinked fuel line. But it wasn't the first time I almost gave up. What kind of voltage are you getting at the coils? Maybe try the coil relay mod? It's super cheap, and it doesn't hurt to do anyway. I like to take as much work off the stock wiring harness as I possibly can.

Comment

Find a good Catholic minister and have an exorcism. :-D

Hang in there, buddy. You'll get it worked out. If Steve is willing to stop by, he'll be a big help.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

the long list of the new parts you installed is definitely going to add up to a fine running bike, so hang in there

however, to prevent chaising your tail i suggest you attend to the following
          check the charging system so you re confident you re getting all the juice from your battery when cranking - espec important on cold days
          check the voltage you re getting at the coils - the same reason as above
          check engine compression (with your valves in spec) - if you dont want to buy a tester a shop can do this for you in 10min
          once you have the bike running adjust the mixture screws as per the highest rpm method
          sync the carbs

keep us posted
          GS850GT

Comment

I think you must have a weak spark,most engines i've tried to start have fired right up when i poured some gas down the intake or plug hole.You say you can smell gas,you know the timing is right because it runs if only you can get it started.You have changed the coils,but have you taken a look on the rest of the system?It can be a malfunction in an electronic component,but it doesn't have to be that bad.Some component is poorly grounded or a connector has a bad connection.Take them all apart,and use some sandpaper and wd-40 on them,even if they look fine.Also look at the crank trigger,maybe sanding the rust of its tip is enough.My friend once had a gt 100 on which he replaced the coil and afterwards the bike wouldn't run at all,despite spark.For unknown reasons the spark was weak,but he wanted a ride so bad,so he came up with the idea of making the plug gap smaller so the spark would jump the gap easier.Perhaps a crazy idea,but it worked!The bike fired right up and saved his day.The spark should be bluish-purple and so strong it's visible in any light.If it's more white-orange and flickers around on the electrodes it's probably too weak.

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
              Find a good Catholic minister and have an exorcism. :-D
              quick! i need an old priest, a young priest, and the power of christ compels you!

but seriously, hang in there... it'll all be better when you get it going and can finally go play on the roads

Comment

First of all dont give up! Every great bike build has its moments of extreme frustrations. If you are flooding the engien while tring to start the bike, check your plugs you may have foulded them. second the K&N filter will breath alot more then the factory air cleanear from what I hear and you may have to do some re-jetting to get things to start and run smoothly. Have you checked to make sure every jet: main, needle, and pilot jets are all the same and correct with specs. I have been having trouble with my bike took the carbs arpart and saw that every thing was diffent they all look similar but are different by alittle here and there, it enought to drive you crazy b/c taking the carbs off the bike and taking them apart several time is a big pain the butt but it is well worth it.

just some thoughts

Comment

whoever guessed more spark wins the bozo button and the big cookie!!! I went out and bought the required relay and shtuff and did the coil relay mod(thank you BassCliff for your step by step and everyone else who contributed)!!! It is about 40 degrees here in Chicago tonight and my beautiful cruiser fired right up!! This whole thing was very stressful but you guys stuck in there and helped and kept helping, I owe everyone a big thanks. I still gotta sync the carbs and change the oil and blah blah blah but she runs better than I have ever known her to right now so I can't wait until she's truly tuned. Thanks again!

Comment

I will post pics tomorrow, hope you like them!

Comment

We
                      love
                      HOT SPARK!

Comment

The Doors

....come on baby light my fire.....
                        McLoud
                        '79 GS850
                        `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                        sigpic
                        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

HOT spark is COOL

GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
                            Cleaned all connections and used dielectric grease
                            nice to hear you re on the road again :-D

i am a bit confused though on how you would have a weak spark with the new coils/leads/caps if the above is correct - unless you have a broken/burnt wire somewhere and/or your battery wasnt fully charged at the time

keep us posted
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by kvgarrison View Post
                              I went out and bought the required relay and shtuff and did the coil relay mod(thank you BassCliff for your step by step and everyone else who contributed)!!!
                              What is this coil relay mod you speak of?
                              2010 Honda VFR1200F
                              1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
                              Being Revisited
                              1981 Honda CM400T
                              http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

a lot of guys are getting serious voltage drops through their wiring harness so rather than rewire the whole bike and fix all the crusty connections they have put in relays to get direct power from the battery. simple and easy install and can save a lot of headaches. its a pretty common fix in many situations. i've done it on my truck, i've set relays in for the headlights so they shine brighter at night. do a quick search and i'm sure you'll find the relavant thread

Comment

Working...
                                X