brake bleeding question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake bleeding question...

I need to bleed out my brakes on my 82 650G. My manual says to connect a rubber tube to the bleeder valve to let out the old brake fluid.

I need to buy this tube 'cause I don't have one. Any guesses as to what size to get? 1/4" maybe?

Thanks!

I'd guess 3/16 ID.

You can always heat it up and make it larger. I'm not sure what I use, but it's right.
    Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

1/4"

1/4" will work but will seem quite tight. If you use the cheap, clear stuff, you can heat it up and it will go on pretty easily. If you get a tight enough fit, you can run your hose down into a container filled with any liquid and pump out the old fluid and air without worrying about sucking air back into the system.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks!

I'll see what I can find.

Comment

I use the hoses that come in the battery boxes, since I have a hose to my battery permanently hooked up.

Cory

Comment

procedure question

does it make sense to try and suck out the resevoir and top it up with fresh fluid BEFORE starting the bleed process? Seems to me it would take less time to get clean/new fluid to come out the other side if I take out as much of the old before I start?

Probably increases likelihood of getting air in the system though.....

Hmmm.....

Comment

yeah, you could suck a little out, but you're right it increases the likelihood of getting air in the system.

Cory

Comment

Just did a search and found

this link to BassCliff's brilliant tutorial on this subject! Hurrah!

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

3/16" indeed. Draining it into a bottle and leaving the bleeder open works for me half the time. If you keep getting tiny bubbles then some air is getting in through your bleeder screw. I wish they'd stick an o-ring in there to make life easier.

Comment

Working...
                  X