Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

APE GS1150 tensioner for an 850?

Hi all,

I phoned up APE's tech line, and they dont have any tensioners for the GS850, so I'm wondering if it would be possible to put one from the 1150 into my 850. If anyone has any experience with this, your advice would be appreciated.

POOT

If it has two bolts it will work.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Wondered the same about my GS1000. It's on the list of things to get. You guys are pretty sure it will work?

Comment

Duh.....I should have looked at that before. That sucks now that I realize it wont work.

thanks anyhow.

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          If it has two bolts it will work.
          Sorry but that statement is NOT true! There are many different tensioners out there with DIFFERENT bolt patterns. The best way to try to find one that's close is to check part #s on the tensioner GASKETS. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            Sorry but that statement is NOT true! There are many different tensioners out there with DIFFERENT bolt patterns. The best way to try to find one that's close is to check part #s on the tensioner GASKETS. Good luck, Ray.
            I was talking about the GS series.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The 850 tensioner is an angled design with three bolts. It's angled down to clear the carbs.

So the straight APE tensioner with two bolts won't work.

What's wrong with the regular GS850 tensioner, anyway? It works fine. Find something else to worry about.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X