RR neg to battery neg mod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR neg to battery neg mod question

Per bakalorz advice in his sig and from other folks, I'm planning to run a wire from the negative lead of the RR to the negative terminal on the battery, as well as replacing the bullet connectors on the stator.

Quick questions: Is the casing to the RR the negative to the frame? Can I just run the wire with a connector put under the nut that holds the RR to the frame and then to the battery, or do I have to splice into the black/white output wire?

Also, is there a specific gauge of wire I should use?

Thanks! Sorry for the dumb questions. All of this is VERY new to me. I've been through just about every other system on my old GS, but never had a charging issue. I've owned this 1100 a couple of weeks, and wouldn't you know it...:-|

Before I intalled a Honda R/R I used 12 guage wire with an eye crimped on each end and put one under the ground eye rom the R/R and the other on the battery.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Bryan,

Yes, Either a 12 or 14 guage wire, 12 would be better.

Can be to either the R/R case or to the B/W ground wire. To the R/R case would be just a little bit better just per chance the b/w wire doesnt make a good connection.

Does your 83 1100 have the bullett connectors on the stator wiring? My (previous) 80 850G did. My 82 1100GK doesnt, it has the multiconductor connector.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Mine has a black & white with an eye on it that connects to the battery tray via the RR body mounting bolt.
        I just ran a 2nd wire direct from battery & put a 2nd eye on top of the one from the RR before bolting the RR down to the tray.

Seemed like the simplest way to me & cured my charging issues instantly.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Does your 83 1100 have the bullett connectors on the stator wiring?
          Yeah, I've got the bullet connectors. But not for long. Appreciate the tips.

I have a REALLY slow drain. After two 30 min rides, my battery is down to 12.3 from 12.5, so it seems like something minor. I need to go back threw the stator fault flow chart again when I have more light and warmer weather to truly isolate the problem, but I planned on making these changes first to see if it clears it up. Easy enough to do, and apparently it's a good idea anyway. Just might end up doing it twice if it doesn't fix things and I have to buy a new stator and/or RR.

Comment

Ditch that R/R plastic connector and do the ground to the Bat. If you dont trust that get an onboard voltmeter.
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Bryan,

If your battery voltage is going down while the bike has been running; that sounds like there is a charging problem, is not charging as it should. The r/r ground wire mod will not help this charging problem (is to avoid other problems).

Replacing the bullet connectors may help the charging problem if the connectors are not making good connection. And if they are not making good connection they will be heating up some. If real bad they will heat up enough to discolor and disform the connectors (as happend on the 850G I had). You notice any of that?

Since it seems like you have a volt meter, the most basic thing to check is to check the battery voltage before you start the engine, start it, and check again at mid rpm (like 4000). Let us know what you find.

Last edited by Redman; 04-14-2008, 08:54 PM. Reason: spuling

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I was experiencing a charging problem similar to yours and made the neg to battery mod. It fixed the problem immediately and I got charging at 14+ volts from about 2000 rpm and up.

To get a good connection I spliced into the negative lead (black/white) from the R/R with 12 guage, put a crimped ring on the other end and connected to the battery post.

As I'm always concerned about charging (having real issues with my XS at the moment) I install an analog voltage meter on all bikes so I can monitor all thats going on before it goes pear shaped.

Complete the mod and let us know what you find.

Cheers,
                Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Bryan,

If your battery voltage is going down while the bike has been running; that sounds like there is a charging problem, is not charging as it should. The r/r ground wire mod will not help this charging problem (is to avoid other problems).

Replacing the bullet connectors may help the charging problem if the connectors are not making good connection. And if they are not making good connection they will be heating up some. If real bad they will heat up enough to discolor and disform the connectors (as happend on the 850G I had). You notice any of that?

Since it seems like you have a volt meter, the most basic thing to check is to check the battery voltage before you start the engine, start it, and check again at mid rpm (like 4000). Let us know what you find.

A bad enough ground connection can keep the battery from charging properly.

-

Comment

I did check the volts with the bike running at various rpms (2,500 - 5,000) and I was only getting slightly more than 13 volts. In the stator papers it said 13.5 to 14.8 was the normal.

I haven't seen any cooked wires, and after a 30 minute ride nothing felt hot. Of course, it's pretty chilly in St. Louis still (in the 40s). I plan to do the full fault flow chart diagnostics later this week.

Thanks yet again for all of the advice. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

related links on grounding

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

I provided a point to point wiring list that includes grounding the solenoid and R/R case to plate ground then jumpering to negative side of battery. There appears to be some type of A/C coupling of the R/R where regulation is better with case grounded.

Posplayr

Comment

Update

I did the negative to negative mod, checked and cleaned my main ground and all my connections thoroughly (for a second time with better lighting). Still a weak charge.

When I examined the wires from the stator to the RR more carefully, I noticed two of them are a little crispy. I'm going to solder them together directly tonight.

I know there is some debate as to whether or not using spade connectors or directly soldering them makes the most sense. But if my stator ends up being bad, I'll end up running new wire from the stator up anyway, right?

I know its wishful thinking, but I'm hoping there was just a bad connection that caused resistance, and that I don't have a toasted stator. The fault finder flow chart from the stator papers seems to indicate a bad stator, but given the condition of the two of the three bullet connectors, I'm not sure I was even getting good conductivity with my volt meter probes.

Thanks for listening to me think out loud. As you can probably, tell I really only know enough to get myself in trouble when it comes to elec systems.

Comment

You are on the right track

If there is resistance in the lines/connections, then the line/connections will drop the R/R output charging voltage and the battery will get what is left over. The Honda R/R is better because it compensates by measureing the output voltage at the battery (through a switch).

It has been surprising to me how bad even visually good connectors can be. If the wire/connections are stiff that is bad and an obvious sign of resistance. Corrosion also gets into the crimps which short of using a chemical etch will not come out. Even soldering probably wont work as the solder will not adhere to corrosion.

Spades are the cleanest as you can then remove it. I would solder the crimps to keep out corrosion as well as insure good mechanical connections. Dielectric grease also helps for the longer term. My ground voltage drop came up from about 0.150v at 5000 RPM to about 0.30v is about 3 months with no grease.

The stator papers are not incorrect but they don't really do a very good job of driving home the point that the small resistances (10 amps into 0.1 ohms generating close to a volt) can cause a failure to charge adequately. The only way to really tell because of the low resistance is to increase the current so that the voltage drop is most observable. That occurs at the higher RPM.

Thus simple modification to the Stator Papers is to insure that voltage drops are low (<0.25 volts ideal) at 5000 RPM (<0.5 volts OK).

Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by bryan View Post
                            When I examined the wires from the stator to the RR more carefully, I noticed two of them are a little crispy.
                            thats how i like my toast, but definitely not good for wires :-D lol

good luck

GS850GT

Comment

Any way to test used Stators/RRs at salvage yard?

This is probably a dumb question, but is there anyway to test used stators or RRs when their off a bike? I would normally buck up for the new parts, but if pretty soon I won't have any money to buy gas for the new bike:?

I replaced the old connectors and chopped off the "burnt" wire ends, and I still have the same problem.

Thanks once again for helping the clueless mechanic...and I use the word mechanic loosely.

Comment

Working...
                              X