Pods/Jetting Question: I searched, I promise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pods/Jetting Question: I searched, I promise

There seems to be a good deal of discussion, both pro and con, around switching to pod air filters. I understand that you need to re-jet in order to gain additional performance from switching to pods (I think, anyway). However, I'm in the process of rebuilding my carbs, and I'm going to be using several sets to try to get one set of 4 that are in decent shape. As such, I anticipate a SIGNIFICANT about of installing/removing/installing of th ecarbs in the forseeable future. Given that, I'm sorely tempted to not have to wrestle with the air box each time.

I'm not interested in extra performance (at this point, ANY performance would be exciting), I just want to be able to get to the carbs more easily. I'm switching it back to a stock 4-2 exhaust (the PO had some wierd 4-1 with a hammered-on muffler).

If I change to pods: Do I have to re-jet in order to have "stock" level performance? If so, can anyone suggest a set of jets? It looks like stock jets are about 5.50 each, the jetting kits I see on ebay are more like 100.00. Not sure why they are so much more expensive.

Enlighten me, if you will.

(Whoops!) I have a 1982 gs650GL, that might be good to know.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2008, 07:49 AM. Reason: Added bike type

Stock jets are designed to run very lean, even with that airbox restriction. When you go to pods, you are now crazy lean. It's certainly possible to find the correct configuration of jets and needle and pilot screw etc... to make it run good on your own... or you can spend the 100 bucks for the kit and 95% of the time it will be close to perfect (slightly rich) right out of the box. The kits, the good ones, are not only the jets they are going to have you install but another set as well (a stage 1 and stage 3 kit), a drill bit to enlarge a hole in the float, new needles, a screw for backing out the caps on the pilot screws and detailed instructions, so not just a box of jets.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Most people who go with Pods tend to get a less restrictive exhaust
      also. Because you are one of the rare people who are only doing
      it to get rid of the Air box it makes at a bit more difficult to find
      someone with a set up like yours. Perhaps if you told us what
      model bike you have with what kind of carbs someone will help.....

Comment

And again, I don't work for dynojet I swear, I just got such good results. Did a stage 3 with pods and stock exhaust, and I'm a little rich, but runs great.

Comment

What kind of bike?
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

It's a 1982 gs650GL (I added it to my original post, too).

Comment

Dynojet kit part # 3310.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by 80-81, GS 1100 View Post
                Most people who go with Pods tend to get a less restrictive exhaust
                also. Because you are one of the rare people who are only doing
                it to get rid of the Air box it makes at a bit more difficult to find
                someone with a set up like yours. Perhaps if you told us what
                model bike you have with what kind of carbs someone will help.....

Added my bike info above (82 gs650gl). I have the Mikuni 32mm CV carbs.

Comment

Working...
                X