Rust in Fuel Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in Fuel Tank

My gs850 was sitting aroundsome guys garage for 5+ years. Now I have the big task of cleaning out the rust in the fuel tank. I pulled out the sending unit, didn't know it could work with sooooomuch rust on it. So i'm starting to look for parts or replace fuel tank and i'm hoping someone out their knows were I can find parts at a discount prices? Or maybe a good fuel tank, complete -paint. Any kind of answers will help . Thanks

If yours has no leaks, take it to a shop that specializes in gas tank repairs
    (some radiator shops also do it)

Let them look at it and give you a price on clean and reline.

Mine cost CA$90.

You can buy a kit and do it yourself, but working with hazardous chemicals, along with knowing that any mistake means having to do the job a second time, made me look at the small difference in price.

The professional shop did the work, and gave me a written guarantee.

I don't know how they do it, or if it damages paint. The do-it-yourself stuff will destroy paint if you spill it.

I was planning on cleaning and relining my tank, and had already stripped the paint, when the owner of the bike store I deal with suggested I look up this company.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

If you are planning to repaint by all means go the rad shop route Cleans everything off including the paint. If you want to do it yourself check this out http://www.por15.com/restorationkits.html

Comment

John, I've posted this a couple of times before. It may be of help. There is a company that will cut open your tank, repair all dents and dings, clean out the rust, recoat it and reweld it back together and then prime it and ship it back ready to paint for less than a new tank costs. If you are really serious about having it done right, these are the people to contact.
        Good luck.

Comment

I used the Kreem system and followed the directions carefully. I did not have any problems with the "chemicals", but some of the steps you would want to do outside. The coating looks great and appears to have sealed the inside of the tank well. I didn't have to worry about the outside of the tank, as the paint was already peeling and I had it painted afterwards.

Comment

gas tank repair in Toronto

I'm also in Toronto and have a 1981 gs650g that has been sitting around and I think I need to clean out the tank. I was wondering where you took your tank in Toronto, and were you happy with the results? thanks for any advice! (donaldcarter@sympatico.ca)

Originally posted by argonsagas
            If yours has no leaks, take it to a shop that specializes in gas tank repairs
            (some radiator shops also do it)

Let them look at it and give you a price on clean and reline.

Mine cost CA$90.

You can buy a kit and do it yourself, but working with hazardous chemicals, along with knowing that any mistake means having to do the job a second time, made me look at the small difference in price.

The professional shop did the work, and gave me a written guarantee.

I don't know how they do it, or if it damages paint. The do-it-yourself stuff will destroy paint if you spill it.

I was planning on cleaning and relining my tank, and had already stripped the paint, when the owner of the bike store I deal with suggested I look up this company.

Comment

Working...
            X