temporary fix for lost keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temporary fix for lost keys

i lost my keys to my 82 gs1100gl and i was wondering what wires i could put a switch between coming out of the ignition lock cylinder so i can just flick the switch to turn the bike on, without using the key. the weather is supposed to be beautiful this whole week and i want to take advantage of it. the wire diagram in my clymers manual doesnt help much. it just shows four wires on a switch block. i dont really know how to read it. would i just put a switch between the 12v ignition and ground wire? any help would great. thanks.

'Hotwiring' vehicles is easy enough if you know how (miss-spent youth ) but difficult to explain.
    Basically, you need to cross the wires until you get ignition lights. After that, a quick zap to the starter and you're good to go. I'm presuming the starter switch & button are still functional so all you should need to do is get a current from the battery to the ignition (hence the lights on the dash) and it should start. All the key does is 'lock' the current from getting to the ignition (so to speak).

I would be a trial & error kind of guy but you may not want to take a chance. Popping a fuse (or two) when hotwiring anything is always a possibility.

Comment

Run a wire from the battery to the Orange wires on the fuse block

Comment

fully late i know,but !if your wheel lock is not on than its possible to place a 10amp fuse between the ignition fuse and the main fuse.this will give you ignition AND turn your lights on ,so use your light fuse,or they stay on.

Comment

yea i ended up finding my keys, but all i did was take the headlight out and jump the red and orange wire coming from the ignition lock. turned right on.

Comment

Working...
          X