Indicators / flashers 78 1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators / flashers 78 1000E

I've been messing with the electrics tonight. Everything works except the indicators.

They are not 100% "plumbed" in yet so maybe this is the problem.....

I have the rears connected & was test connecting one front at a time but I don't get any "flash". They are either on or off.

Indicators are aftermarket but they are not LED they are one of the small push in bulb types, I think they should add enough load into the system.

Any thoughts? The relay definitely works as it clicks on & off when I move the switch, take power away etc.

The wiring diag I have shows a box for the self cancelling gubbins. Presume that's the one on the right of the battery box (if sitting on the bike).

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

If they arent ALL hooked up, at least with the stock flasher unit, they wont flash. We just did a set of aftermarkets on the cafe. They all work once they are all in the circuit.

Comment

those itty bitty bulbs will not activate the flasher. The front and rear systems are completely seperate on the 78-79 models. The control units had a bad habit of going bad too. So It may be necessary to convert to manual signals

Comment

if all four indicators are on the same circuit you have to have them all connected to work properly
        if the front/rears are separate i d swap the connections to test the flasher unit and check the watts on the bulbs - if they re too small they cant trigger the flasher
        GS850GT

Comment

I guess I'll get them all hooked up & go from there then... plus check wattage whilst I'm at it.

Cheers,

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Dan - As you can see from the attached wiring diagram, front and rear signals are ganged together. Make sure all four (or at least the F&R on the side you want to test) are plugged in.

If you get nothing, test the switch - check for +12V at all four signals as you switch from left to right. If you don't have that, check power supply to the Orange/Red wire to the left switch. If no power there, fix the electrical supply. Then test. If still no flash, come back here and I'll help you diagnose the control unit.

Comment

We also had trouble finding ground on my bike for a few minutes for some reason. This of course caused them not to work. but should have no problem with yours.

Comment

23w bulbs the same as stock. No grounding issues.
                With all four hooked up, when I indicate I still get solid light both front & rear until I cancel it both left & right.

Checked connections. Doesn't seem to be any issue there. They are clean & the plugs are in good shape.

Cleaned up the switch unit last night.

It has to be something in the control unit I think.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Flasher may be bad itself. Pretty common.

Comment

a detail not to be overlooked is if all the bulbs are good. checked?
                    GS850GT

Comment

Yes - flasher or control unit probably toast.

You might consider converting it to the earlier flasher style.

Comment

So I'm sure... the big box held on by a strap is the control unit & the flasher is the relay that clicks on the other side by the regulator?

Maybe I'll just get an electronic flasher & convert it over to manual on/off. At least it has the cancel function.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for that or known good parts I can borrow/buy for a trial?

Dan
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Can I substitute something like this for the stock flasher??

Would I definitely need to remove the contol unit with an electric flasher?

Dan
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

consulting the wiring diagram for 850 it seems you should be able to ditch the control unit and still use your stock switch to operate the signals (with a fuctioning relay)
                            (i may be reading the diagram wrongly though - lol)

im also not sure if this is what you re asking
                            Last edited by psyguy; 04-17-2008, 03:55 AM.
                            GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                              Can I substitute something like this for the stock flasher??

Would I definitely need to remove the contol unit with an electric flasher?

Dan
                              Yes, something like that would work. The price on that flasher was $9 with $5 for s/h, for a total of $14. Can't you find an electronic flasher in Auto Zone for about the same price?

Will you have to remove the control unit? I don't know. I have never had to try that, so I can't say for sure, but I don't see why you would have to.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X