Where should the clutch engage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should the clutch engage?

The clutch on my '77 GS750 doesn't engage until the lever is almost all the way out. On my "new" '80 GS850, the clutch engages almost as soon as I start letting the lever out. Which is correct? Or are they both correct?
    Where does your's engage?

Terry

By the time I release the lever maybe 1/2" it starts disengaging. You may need to check the adjustment on the engine cover where the cable goes in. You should have an adjuster on the cover for the rod that goes through the motor to the basket. Adjust it to where there is no play then back it out 1/4 turn.

Comment

Re: Where should the clutch engage?

Terry

On my 750, I turn the adjuster sleeve in at the clutch lever until there is free play and no tension on the cable. Then I turn the sleeve out to a point where the clutch lever has about 1/8" gap between it and the housing that holds the cable end. Adjusted this way, my clutch is fully disengaged when the lever is pulled through about 1/3rd to 1/4th of its available arc.

Earl

Originally posted by TheNose
      The clutch on my '77 GS750 doesn't engage until the lever is almost all the way out. On my "new" '80 GS850, the clutch engages almost as soon as I start letting the lever out. Which is correct? Or are they both correct?
      Where does your's engage?

Terry
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Is it possible that you have had the clutch cover off and thrn lever on the top that is connected to the clutch cable just has to be moved into a diferent spline on the shaft that sticks up out of the clutch cover. ((if your clutch works in that fasion???

Comment

I'm in St. Louis right now. When I get home I will check both bikes using the info that the three of you gave me. It seems like both bikes need adjusting. Thanks for the help.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by TheNose
            I'm in St. Louis right now. When I get home I will check both bikes using the info that the three of you gave me. It seems like both bikes need adjusting. Thanks for the help.

Terry
            Maybe your fingers need adjusting :roll: :roll: Is gaslight square still there??

Comment

Terry,

I actually think it's a matter of personal preferance......as long as it is still adjusted within limits (meaning when lever is out, clutch is completely engaged; and when lever is pulled almost completely in, clutch is completely disengaged). I prefer to have mine adjusted similar to that of your '77 GS, it just seems to me that it enables me to make quicker gear changes when I'm really accelerating through the gears (which I seldom do ).
              Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
              "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E
              1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by I
                By the time I release the lever maybe 1/2" it starts disengaging. You may need to check the adjustment on the engine cover where the cable goes in. You should have an adjuster on the cover for the rod that goes through the motor to the basket. Adjust it to where there is no play then back it out 1/4 turn.
                I just wanted to clarify the adjustment I'm talking about. There is a slotted adjusting bolt with a locknut on it on the countershaft sprocket cover on most bikes. It may be under a smaller cover on the countershaft cover. That is the adjuster I was referring to. It works directly on the pushrod that goes through the transmission to the clutch.

Comment

Working...
                X