Advice on screens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on screens

I know a lot of you have bikes with fairings so I thought I'd ask a little advice.

The new GK that I have just bought needs a new screen. I've found a company locally (within Australia that is) that produces screens for all motorcycles. They are highly recommended and I am convinced I will buy from them. The only problem is I am spoiled for choice - thickness, height, colour etc.

This is the email that I got back from them thus far -

We make a Standard or Shorter screen for $180 (made from 3mm material) or $220 if made from 4.0mm thick material

That's for any colour Tint or Clear that you like although Light Tint often looks the best. We can make this for you in 4.0mm thick material in Light , Dark Tint, Clear or Light Blue.

Delivery is by Overnight Airbag for $17.50 for the smaller screens or $25 for the largest which includes in-transit insurance against breakage.
    Ordering can be online via email and payment can be made by Credit Card or Direct Deposit.
    Credit Card payment attracts a 2% Bank surcharge though.
    Please note that this quote will remain current for 14 days.

Thanks for your enquiry.
    EAGLE SCREENS AUSTRALIA

"26 years manufacturing screens ....and exporting to the world"

I am keen to get as much advice as possible. I've never owned a 'faired' bike before and am planning on doing some holiday trips on it.

This is their website if anyone is interested - http://www.eaglescreens.com.au/

Thanks in advance

Replica GS1000 "S" Screen

Zooks,

My 1981 GS1000G came with a colour matched "S" replica fairing from the dealer when new. I recently replaced the original perspex screen with a smoked screen form Steve at Metropolitan Motorcycle Spares at Silverwater.

Steve is the "GS" man at MMS that a number of Sydney GS owners have referred to. Can't remember for sure what I paid but it may have been around $75.

This was just smoked perspex in the right size and shape. Sounds like Eagle may have something more up market.

Just some feedback from my experience at the lower end of the market.
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

i find that you get to know your screen only after you've ridden with it for a while, in various weather conditions, various riding styles, etc

that said, i think i'd go with what looks good on the bike and with something that gives you as much adjustability as possible
      (if my current screen is mounted too vertically although it theoretically covers more of my body i get a really unpleasant whirl of wind in my helmet. if i have the screen more on an angle i get more overall wind, but far easier to bear as it flows in a "smoother" manner)

make sure you post a pic once you get it.
      GS850GT

Comment

I don't get the benefit of choice in regard to angle as it is going in the original factory fairing. I am more interested in the difference between tinted and clear, in regard to any restriction of vision at night (or in the rain) and wether there would be any advantage in a screen shorter than the original. Also, if the thicker material is better in terms of resistance to cracking (from stones) and crazing as it gets older.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2008, 09:19 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Having never had a tinted windshield I'm not sure how they work out. The problem with a shorter screen is that you can get hit with a lot of wind right in the face. The rule of thumb for me is that the top of the screen should be even with the riders nose. That way you can still see over it in the rain. I also prefer vent holes that can be opened and closed to prevent negitive air pressure from building up on the highway and some summer time flow through.

Thanks,

Comment

If you are replace the stock windshield I would go with the 4 mm very light tint or clear. My Vetter is 4 mm very durable.

Comment

Thanks Lynn.

Yes, I am replacing the original factory screen. It is so scratched (and crazed from the sun) that I can hardly see through it. As I said, all advice is appreciated - I know nothing about motorcycle windscreens.

Comment

*bump*

I thought I would get more info from some of the GK owners out there.

DPep, Redman, Planecrazy, anybody else??

Comment

*bump* - one more try

Still not sure what to do?? It's a fair bit of money and I don't want to buy the wrong one.
                  Anyone else got any ideas?

Comment

I do not have a GK, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 8-[
                    (My apologies if you have not seen that TV commercial.)

The after-market Tulsa windshield on my Wing is 5 mm thick, extra-tall and has a light tint. This tint is no darker than what is likely in your car's windshield.
                    The PlexiFairing 3 on my wife's 850L is clear and 4,5 mm thick.
                    The windshield on my older son's Venture Royale is clear (well, it used to be clear, it's kinda hazy right now) and 3 mm thick.
                    The Vetter windshield that will be going on my younger son's 850 is clear and 4,75 mm thick.

There have been no problems with any of them regarding cracking or durability.

Are you also offered a choice of material? Not sure what your trade names would be over (down) there, but here, the popular choices include Plexiglass (acrylic) and Lexan (polycarbonate). Either one of them might also offer a hardened coating for scratch resistance. It is helpful to know whether you have that coating, as care might be different. If you have the coating, you do not want to use anything with alcohol or ammonia to clean the windshield. The alcohol or ammonia will attack the coating, making it hazy, and eventually it will flake off, leaving the softer plastic screen that will now seem to scratch merely by looking at it cross-eyed. These products to avoid include Windex for cleaning and Rain-X for water repllancy.

One thing that will make a big difference in ANY fairing is proper care and cleaning.
                    NEVER wipe the windshield with ANYTHING when it is dry. Always use a wet rag (microfiber works very well), allowing the windshield to get wet before actually wiping it.
                    NEVER use paper towels (wet or dry) to wipe a plastic windshield. Paper is amazingly abrasive.
                    ALWAYS use vertical strokes. In the event of the inevitable scratch, a vertical scratch will not reflect light into your eyes.
                    Use a good wax to enhance removal of bug carcasses. Personally, I use Meguiar's Liquid Cleaner/Polish with good results. I also use the same wax on the rest of the bike. For routine cleaning, I do that at a gas stop. I carry a microfiber cloth in a sandwich-size Zip-Loc bag in my saddlebag. When I stop for gas, I will take the cloth out, squeeze out some of the excess water and lay the rag over the windshield. This allows the bugs to get wet for later removal. Next, I fill the gas tank and do whatever else needs to be done. Before moving away from the pump, a few quick strokes and the windshield is clean. I use a dry microfiber cloth to remove any water spots. At the end of the day the wet microfiber cloth gets a thorough rinsing or washing, and is placed back into its wet bag for the next day.

For general fit, how did you like the protection and visibility offered by the stock screen? Most people like to be able to look just over the top of the screen in case it rains. Obviously, this is more of a concern if you anticipate riding in the rain very often. I look several inches below the top of my screen and there is virtually no hope of looking over it unless I stand on the pegs. I get around that by keeping the screen waxed and clean, especially if rain is anticipated. Some screen manufacturers also offer a wider screen that will deflect more air around the shoulders. Unless you often ride at high speeds, that might be a good choice. At high speeds, with all the extra air that is pushed aside, there is a bigger vacuum bubble behind the fairing, causing more turbulence and drag.

If I actually left anything out and you have more questions, feel free to ask. 8-[

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent, Thank you so much. I haven't actually ridden the bike yet. I bought it with mechanical probs (almost fixed) and don't know how the screen 'feels'. I wouldn't have been able to get far anyway because it is so scratched and crazed.

The main thing I am wondering is to do with the tinting. If it's lightly tinted (the new one) will it be difficult to see through at night? We live out of town and have a fairly long ride through 'the bush' to get home. I like to be able to see really well in case of critters by the road side. It also gets fairly foggy (in winter) as we drive through surrounding farm land, so visibility can be an issue.

I know it seems that I would automatically go with clear but lots of people have said that tinted looks better. It comes down to function vs. form????

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post

The new GK that I have just bought needs a new screen. I've found a company locally (within Australia that is) that produces screens for all motorcycles. They are highly recommended and I am convinced I will buy from them. The only problem is I am spoiled for choice - thickness, height, colour etc.
                        If you are asking about height when replacing the windscreen only on the original GK fairing, try extending the old one with a piece if cardboard, then try lowering it by cutting it down. Ride it at all speeds in all lengths. I'm OK with the airstream hitting my neck or lower, also OK with it going over my head, but I can't stand it hitting me in the face. The wind noise is worse than it is on a naked bike and the resulting head bobbing when riding two up is very hard on my wife's neck, and very annoying.

I'm way too tall sitting down for most fairings/windscreens to work well, the top of my head is usually in the wind.

Had to add an extra deflector to flip the air over my head on the BMW, for the GSes I have a little plexifairing that only goes on for for the coldest winter months.

One more thing, you don't look through the screen as in a car, you look over it. Should only have to look through it to see something right in front of the wheel.
                        If you are looking through it going down the road it is way too tall.

The trick is to get it low enough to see over but high enough to toss the air cleanly over your head.
                        Last edited by tkent02; 04-23-2008, 11:06 AM.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Zooks View Post
                          The main thing I am wondering is to do with the tinting. If it's lightly tinted (the new one) will it be difficult to see through at night?
                          Are the windows on your cars lightly tinted? Virtually all of the windows on cars here have a very light tint. Windows behind the driver are allowed to be darker, but the windshield and front side windows have to be about 90% (or so) transmission. The light tint on the bike screen would be the same. I have no problems with the screen on my Wing.

Here I have placed a piece of printer paper in front of my screen so you can see the tint.
                          It's not very dark at all, but I think it's worth it in the daylight, and does not adversely affect night riding.
                          sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I would keep the old screen, even though it's scatched up, to cut down for use in warmer weather. I prefer to have my helmet fully in the wind rather than partially. There's less buffeting from the wind that way. I don't like looking through the windshield in normal use, and most stock height windshields won't put the airstream over my head. Besides, the vents on the helmet work a lot better if the helmet is in the wind.
                            JP
                            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                            1992 Concours
                            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                            2007 FJR

Comment

Thanks guys this is great info.

Comment

Working...
                              X